Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Looking to upgrade. How much/will I get an improvement?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am currently running these specs...

Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon
CPU: Intel Core i7 W3520 @ 2.66GHz (QPI: 4.8 GT/s)
RAM: 8GB (4 X 2GB DDR3 ECC) each 1066 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 - 512MB of VRAM

if there is something more I should specify please let me know.

here is what I am planning on upgrading to...just a new processor really

3.33GHz Quad-Core 'Nehalem' (Intel X3580, QPI: 6.4GT/s)

dont plan on adding more RAM or a new video card....unless its strongly suggested otherwise! from other threads i am drawing the conclusion that clock speed seems to give the biggest improvements and is what Dolphin relies on more, as it only utilizes two cores even if you have more.

kinda just looking to get a second opinion on my own research. let me know if i will see some improvements or if i got this ass-backwards. thanks!!
(01-10-2011, 02:26 PM)skizzo Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently running these specs...

Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon
CPU: Intel Core i7 W3520 @ 2.66GHz (QPI: 4.8 GT/s)
RAM: 8GB (4 X 2GB DDR3 ECC) each 1066 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 - 512MB of VRAM

if there is something more I should specify please let me know.

here is what I am planning on upgrading to...just a new processor really

3.33GHz Quad-Core 'Nehalem' (Intel X3580, QPI: 6.4GT/s)

dont plan on adding more RAM or a new video card....unless its strongly suggested otherwise! from other threads i am drawing the conclusion that clock speed seems to give the biggest improvements and is what Dolphin relies on more, as it only utilizes two cores even if you have more.

kinda just looking to get a second opinion on my own research. let me know if i will see some improvements or if i got this ass-backwards. thanks!!

your cpu is good for dolphin but you need a video card
I agree. A GT 120 is not enough for higher than native resolutions.
(01-11-2011, 05:06 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I agree. A GT 120 is not enough for higher than native resolutions.

yea you need to upgrade that graphics card is holding you system back from being a great gaming rig
He's just looking for improvements for dolphin, he hasn't said anything about a gaming setup.
(01-11-2011, 05:54 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]He's just looking for improvements for dolphin, he hasn't said anything about a gaming setup.

why are you following me trying to one up me. you cant win because i simply dont care. i'll say it again like the last post. i doubt he's build a computer to just run dolphin. you will get better performence in all games NOT JUST DOLPHIN with a better GPU.
But this is the dolphin-emu forums and he's asking about dolphin....

Regardless he needs a new video card no matter what it's for. That we do agree on.
Wrong post, wrong thread....
well i do a lot of audio work in programs that rely solely on processing things in real time with the CPU like Pro Tools. so i was wondering if I i got an even more bad ass setup for doing that kinda stuff if i would also improve my Dolphin experience. honestly i got the cheapest GPU card i could find with two outputs so i can work in Pro Tools with two screens. because at the time i didnt plan on gaming on this computer....that has since changed though. (since im obviously here Smile )

thanks for the feedback everyone! but id still like to pick your brains a bit....

so will the better processor show minimal...if any improvements in Dolphin? (especially if i dont upgrade my graphics card?) or would spending the cash on a a better GPU card make it better in a more substantial way? is it safe to assume upgrading both would make the system better for Dolphin performance?

i dont use my Mac Pro for anything other than music/audio and gaming with Dolphin really.
Quote:so will the better processor show minimal...if any improvements in Dolphin?

Sure it will show improvement. I just think that's a lot of money to blow for not enough gain. Since the two cpus are the same architecture this is one of those rare cases when you can actually compare their capabilities using clock rates. You're looking at 2.93 vs. 3.6 GHz maximum clock rates. That's a 22.5% increase, of course that doesn't guarantee that that's how much of a performance gain you'll get with dolphin, use that as a maximum theoretical performance increase.

Quote:or would spending the cash on a a better GPU card make it better in a more substantial way?

Definitely. Especially if you plan on using higher than native resolutions. I mean come on, don't you want to play GC/Wii games in 1080p? If not then why bother with getting a video card for dolphin when you can buy a real wii for only a little more.

Quote:is it safe to assume upgrading both would make the system better for Dolphin performance?

Yes.
Pages: 1 2 3