Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Core 2 Quad Q8300, performance increase? Help-me!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi!

I am using a Pentium dual core E5200 and want to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo Q8300, I'll have increased performance in dophin?

The PC will look like this::
Q8300 2.5GHz
Asus P5KPL-AM
2GB DDR2 667mhz
9600GT 512MB DDR3
Cosair 400W

My interest are the Mario games (Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, mario kart etc) I'm a fan of mario!

I will have good performance in the dolphin using the Core 2 Quad Q8300?

Thanks!

PS: I am Brazilian and I used the google translator to send this message. Smile
Your ram speed will hinder your CPU performance. At least have a 1066Mhz ram for that CPU, but I'd hope on DDR3 to get max performance and without bottlenecking the CPU!
(01-09-2011, 11:53 AM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]Your ram speed will hinder your CPU performance. At least have a 1066Mhz ram for that CPU, but I'd hope on DDR3 to get max performance and without bottlenecking the CPU!

That's really not going to make any difference, not for Dolphin anyway. He can keep what he has.

So I will not have any performance gain in mario galaxy 1.2 / and mario kart? (These are the games you want to play at the moment)

I played on my friend's PC, the configuration of it is this:
Q9400 2.66Ghz
4GB DDR2 800Mhz Ram (played with 2GB of RAM and had the same performance)
Asus P5Q
GTS 250 1GB DDR3

Setting goals is not far from my mario galaxy and won more than 100% and with many great FPS

The dolphin depends more on that? processor clock or the amount of cores?

Please, I need to know right away that, because the processor will buy next week!
: (

Thanks!
Processor clock/IPC is what matters most with dolphin. Dolphin only uses 2 cores.
[b]I understood what [SS] Starscream meant. : D

I'll buy the Q8300 without fear!

Thanks friends.

So

About using 2GB of RAM on a 64bit windows 7, there are problems?

Thanks again.
A Q8300 is going to be barely faster than an e5200 in applications like dolphin that use 2 or less threads (5-10% speedup if you're lucky). I would advise against it. I also agree with SS. As long as the ram frequency is at least half of the FSB for a dual channel setup it won't matter, and his ram frequency is already half of the fsb frequency.
So,

Added the Q8300 will be almost the same thing E5200? will not increase performance in games that are slow?

For the dolphin, it is best to use a processor with two cores with a high frequency as the E7500 (dual core 2.93GHz) than the Q8300 (quad core 2.5Ghz)?

What matters most is the internal clock? Even though a dual core?
Yes. Although 2.7 GHz is still pretty low for a core 2. I would save up and get an e8500 (3.16GHz) or if they don't have that in your area an e8400 (3.0GHz)
E8400/E8500 not found in stores here.

What other processor do you recommend?

I played mario galaxy at a friend's house with a Q9400 (2.66Ghz) and it was perfect! 2.66 is very close to 2.5 ... how can this be?

I also think the PC games that are coming and I already have. : (
Pages: 1 2