Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: e8400 woes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Azertyuiop92870

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my computer. These are my proposed upgrades:

Intel C2D e8400
3GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD4650

One of my concerns was that how much fps could I expect out of this. But my main concern is that I will not be able to overclock the processor because my motherboard will not support it. What can I expect out of the stock speed for the e8400. Thanks!
Even a bottom of the barrel piece of shit motherboard can achieve a half decent overclock with an e8400. As for stock speeds you can expect most GC games to run fullspeed or close to it but many will not (metroid prime for example). Many wii games should run at high speeds but not fullspeed with some of the heavier games like SMG getting moderate speeds. What are your current system specs?
That's an odd pc configuration. 3gb of DDR2? Why not 4gb? If I would you I would try to save up more money and buy a better graphic card. Something like a 5770 or 460 GTX.

Azertyuiop92870

(01-04-2011, 05:05 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Even a bottom of the barrel piece of shit motherboard can achieve a half decent overclock with an e8400. As for stock speeds you can expect most GC games to run fullspeed or close to it but many will not (metroid prime for example). Many wii games should run at high speeds but not fullspeed with some of the heavier games like SMG getting moderate speeds. What are your current system specs?

@NaturalViolence
yep, dell sucks at not letting u overclock
these are my current specs:
Pentium D 945 (it sucks i know)
2GB ram
Radeon HD4650
500W psu
Dell optiplex 755 mobo (laughable indeed but still useful)

(01-04-2011, 05:11 PM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]That's an odd pc configuration. 3gb of DDR2? Why not 4gb? If I would you I would try to save up more money and buy a better graphic card. Something like a 5770 or 460 GTX.

@tuanming
oops, meant 4gb my mistake. on the graphics card however refer to this post: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=9250

Im trying to see if i can do decent upgrades without breaking the bank. but what i want to know is will speeds for mario kart wii and ssbb be over 45 fps with the upgrades? Blush
After researching a bit on the 4650, it does seems to have potential, at least better than my 8600 GT... But my 460 GTX from MSi will be deliver this thursday.
A 4650 is fine if you leave efb scaled copy, SSAA, and pixel lighting off. For higher efb scales or AA you will need a more powerful video card. Mario kart wii and ssbb should both be over 45 fps minimum with the new cpu if you do that.