Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin virus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okie, I wasn't gonna post anymore comments on this topic since it was so obvious that it wasn't worthy of so many posts, but it was kinda foolish:
a) he doesn't download from the official site and his virus software detects a virus. What does common sense tell ya went wrong?
b) he goes to the forums, and can read thousands of posts, nobody complaining about a virus being detected. Did he really think the Dolphin program came with a virus and he was the only one to ever notice??
c) What kind of response did he think he'd get when he posted the results of the virus scan. "Oh dang! You got us. We are really secretly trying to plant viruses in people's computers to destroy everything that's been installed. It's amazing we haven't been shutdown yet! SSShhh, don't tell anyone!" Wink
(05-20-2009, 05:49 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]Okie, I wasn't gonna post anymore comments on this topic since it was so obvious that it wasn't worthy of so many posts, but it was kinda foolish:
a) he doesn't download from the official site and his virus software detects a virus. What does common sense tell ya went wrong?
b) he goes to the forums, and can read thousands of posts, nobody complaining about a virus being detected. Did he really think the Dolphin program came with a virus and he was the only one to ever notice??
c) What kind of response did he think he'd get when he posted the results of the virus scan. "Oh dang! You got us. We are really secretly trying to plant viruses in people's computers to destroy everything that's been installed. It's amazing we haven't been shutdown yet! SSShhh, don't tell anyone!" Wink

true thats. Big Grin
Ehm, I'd like to add something to this...

I always downloaded revs from this site, never from another, and recently I've been getting the exact same virus.

It won't let me complete the download even!

I know you guys don't mean any harm, and that it probably isn't a virus but something virus scanners pick up as one, but it totally prevents me from downloading revisions, and since this virus came, all my other executable files of older revs were deleted as well :/ (due to them also containing the virus now)

My guess is that due to some update lately, some part that has always been in revisions is now considered a virus by some virus scanners/firewalls.

I'm very much a newb at all of this, so I'm just guessing.
Using bullguard as anti-virus program btw.
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/c003c...7556c727aa

Yep, I got a warning too. I use the latest unofficial SVN Build 3098 Win32 from the Dolphin Download site. So so shady Website or torrents...
I guess and hope hat it is a false Alert...
Well, but you can still download and run dolphin?

I can't, I download it using firefox, and when it scans after downloading, it aborts the download as it says there's something wrong.
I trust dolphin and this site, so if there's a way to bypass the virus, please tell me how Smile

LuisR14

umm uninstall the antivirus? and use another antivirus? Smile
Firefox, go to "about:config" in the address bar, then find "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone" and double click it to set it to "false", should have Firefox not scan downloads when downloading them.

This sounds to me like you might have an over-reaching virus scanner, or perhaps some stupid company that has decided that emulators in general can't be trusted and has actually blocked Dolphin thinking they're somehow doing good. Or...

You know...

Whoever put the net play code in dolphin should check how they're doing things. It just occured to me that "backdoor" and "worm" type viruses (typical symptoms of these include connecting to a host the hacker controls, for remote control and other malicious purposes) might use very similar code, setting off false alarms, most especially because netplay emulation is probably using low level packet injecting functions (legitimately) which many viruses would use as a form of protocol obfuscation I'm sure. Can anyone check to see if it's just the most recent revisions causing this?
that sounds like a fairly reasonable explanation.

Frank_P

Hi,

I also have trouble with Dolphin. As soon as Visual Studio 2008 completes compiling my virus scanner (Bitdefender) throws a warning (Backdoor.SinoWal.CJ) and moves Dolphin.exe/DolphinIL.exe (revision 3288) to quarantine. I got the source code from here: http://dolphin-emu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

I already wrote a message to Bitdefender but I doubt this will change anything.
(05-21-2009, 08:38 AM)thegamefreak0134 Wrote: [ -> ]Firefox, go to "about:config" in the address bar, then find "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone" and double click it to set it to "false", should have Firefox not scan downloads when downloading them.

This sounds to me like you might have an over-reaching virus scanner, or perhaps some stupid company that has decided that emulators in general can't be trusted and has actually blocked Dolphin thinking they're somehow doing good. Or...

You know...

Whoever put the net play code in dolphin should check how they're doing things. It just occured to me that "backdoor" and "worm" type viruses (typical symptoms of these include connecting to a host the hacker controls, for remote control and other malicious purposes) might use very similar code, setting off false alarms, most especially because netplay emulation is probably using low level packet injecting functions (legitimately) which many viruses would use as a form of protocol obfuscation I'm sure. Can anyone check to see if it's just the most recent revisions causing this?

We're talking about false positive of revision 3098, netplay was added in r3220 so that doesn't make sense... unless they're doing their detections based on the name of the exec Dodgy
Also, netplay is not using any low level socket functions (hmm, let me think about it again, BBA on the other hand uses low level raw packets handling...) it simply uses a standard TCP connection to send and receive through network, nothing possibly harmful, but anyway...
Pages: 1 2