Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which Soundplugin is best
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read lle schould more accurate.
But there for you need to dump the bios and on the guide threat there stand that HLE schould be better.
For now, the HLE plugin is still better (faster, not so choppy)...however, it will probably not be long and the LLE plugin will be the better one...especially because the HLE plugin has sound bugs in some games which the LLE plugin doesn't have. However, in a lot of games, the HLE plugin is pretty much perfect, so as long as you don't hear any sound problems in a game, you don't have to worry about the LLE plugin.
Why need LLE a Bios.
Because it emulates the behavior of the actual chip (the GC/Wii dsp) therefore you need to have the same files that the gc/wii uses.
I aways wondered why we doesnt need the GC WII BIOS files to emulate it. I mean, I know the concept but PCSX2 needs the PS2 BIOS files to run.

Hmm seems the real question here is why PCSX2 need those BIOS files to run Tongue
Couldnt it recompile the PS2 CPU's instructions the same way Dolphin d....

Now THAT is my question Tongue
What is actually needed to emulate a console's CPU? The BIOS has nothing to do with the CPU, as far as I know it just uh.. loads things and that other things a Basic Input Output System does LOL

So what's the relation between an emulated CPU and the BIOS program?

Sorry this is probably very noob for most devs and mods but I really never understood this techinical part of the emulation Tongue
And also I cant get my awnsers from the source as I'm still very nood at C++ and understand simplier programs only (I'm actually "studying" the audio plugin so it will take a while untill I understand it all and make it to the core LOL)
Quote:What is actually needed to emulate a console's CPU?

That depends on how you're emulating it.

Quote:The BIOS has nothing to do with the CPU

That is true but video game console emulators don't just emulate the cpu, they emulate the whole platform.

Quote:So what's the relation between an emulated CPU and the BIOS program?

Depends on the platform. The bios is a piece of software that provides some of the most basic functionality to the system. On an x86 pc it's main purpose is to provide the level of functionality needed to install an os, which requires being able to use some of the devices on the system such as the optical disk drives and magnetic disk drives (HDD).

I have never used PCSX2 and know very little about the PS2 but I'm guessing from what you've told me that the PCSX2 wants proper full emulation and is therefore using LLE as much as possible. Dolphin is mostly HLE. Technically if you want to perfectly emulate a platform you do need the bios.

Basically you can sum up the difference between HLE and LLE as software emulation vs. hardware emulation. HLE is the concept of creating software that does the same thing (comes to the same result), this requires understanding what the software you are trying to emulate is doing. LLE is the concept of emulating the behavior of the actual chip, this requires understanding how the hardware works on a deep level. Perfect emulation would be entirely LLE and would require the use of the native bios. The question you have to ask yourself is, if the same thing happens and the software still works, does it really matter HOW you got to that end result? The dolphin team probably believes the answer to that is no while the pcsx2 team would probably answer yes. Then again I can't speak for the devs of either so this is just my educated guess/opinion on the subject.
Wow, that surely light things up, thanks Smile
Let me put it this way. With dolphin:

CPU emulation = HLE

GPU emulation = HLE

Input emulation = HLE

DSP emulation = HLE or LLE

I'm pretty sure the only reason we have an LLE audio plugin in the first place is because the developers literally gave up on HLE as a long term solution and decided that they would never be able to produce correct emulation that way. From what I can tell so far PCSX2 seems to be mostly LLE since it has a significant amount of assembly code.
hm...just a thought...shouldn't it also be able to emulate the bios?
What dolphin? Sure but it's not required. He's asking why we don't have to dump the GC bios to get dolphin working since PCSX2 needs the ps2 bios to run.