Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can I run it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sigea00

Hi!
I was wondering if you guys had any insight into how my system will perform on a game like MH: Tri!

My specs are:

AMD Athlon X2 455: Dual-Core 3.2Ghz OC.
Nvidia GT 430 1gb dedicated.
4 Gigs pf DDR3 ram at 1333hz.

Thanks guys!!

Sigea00

bump Big Grin
I can't even comprehend why there would possibly be so many of these threads when there's a large download button for Dolphin on the main page. Why don't you just make a dump of MH: Tri and run it in Dolphin and see if it works or not?

Or Hell, if you don't yet own the game or don't want to rip it until you know if it works, at least search the forums for the thread for the game and read the comments. But the bottom line is, all systems are going to be different; I guarantee you there is nobody on the forums with the exact same hardware configuration as you. The numbers (clock speed of CPU, video RAM, etc) might be the same, but there is no telling what a piece of software will run like on different components (despite having the same specifications) until it is actually done.

Nothing anyone can tell you is going to be as accurate as just trying it yourself. But if you desperately need to know the experiences of others, read the thread that is already in the Game Discussion forum! http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=5117
(12-31-2010, 04:32 PM)Gleasonator Wrote: [ -> ]I can't even comprehend why there would possibly be so many of these threads when there's a large download button for Dolphin on the main page. Why don't you just make a dump of MH: Tri and run it in Dolphin and see if it works or not?

Or Hell, if you don't yet own the game or don't want to rip it until you know if it works, at least search the forums for the thread for the game and read the comments. But the bottom line is, all systems are going to be different; I guarantee you there is nobody on the forums with the exact same hardware configuration as you. The numbers (clock speed of CPU, video RAM, etc) might be the same, but there is no telling what a piece of software will run like on different components (despite having the same specifications) until it is actually done.

Nothing anyone can tell you is going to be as accurate as just trying it yourself. But if you desperately need to know the experiences of others, read the thread that is already in the Game Discussion forum! http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=5117

I agree, 99% of everyone in here has something different on their PC when its put together. Your PC should play it decent since its a 5 year old gaming console system, or based off of.

I am generally a FPS gamer, so I built mine strictly to handle Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, and Crysis Warhead at HD resolutions with a good GPU from ATi. So basically, if your PC can handle a game like Doom3, you should be just fine for the Dolphin. It varies though on performance on the dolphin since not everyone has a high end graphics card for example.
Should run
Quote:Your PC should play it decent since its a 5 year old gaming console system, or based off of.
Quote:So basically, if your PC can handle a game like Doom3, you should be just fine for the Dolphin.

Incorrect. When you are using dolphin you are not playing a pc game, you are emulating a gc/wii game. In other words you are converting everything that gc/wii game does into a pc equivalent. This process takes an enormous amount of processing power (CPU). High end pc games need a good video card but do not need a good cpu, as long as you have an ok cpu you will be fine. Dolphin is the exact reverse. You need a top of the line cpu but only need an ok video card since gc/wii games aren't very graphically heavy compared to high end pc games.

So for example if you had a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo with a GTX 580 video card you would be able to max out any high end pc game like crysis or metro 2033 and still get 60 fps at 1920 x 1080 resolution. However that system would run games like super mario galaxy on dolphin at 30 fps in a lot of places. The legend of zelda the twilight princess would be getting around 20 fps in many places, creating an unbearably low gamespeed. Having a system that can max out pc games does not guarantee you will be able to run dolphin well on it at all.

In the 14 months or so that I've been actively posting on this forum I have seen at least dozens of people who have asked something along the lines of "why are my games running slow?". And then when tell them that their system specs are not sufficient to run that game at fullspeed they reply "but I know my system is strong enough! My system can play call of duty 4 and mass effect 2 maxed out at 60 fps and those games have much better graphics". Then I have to give them this same talk I'm having with you now.

@Sigea00

I don;t have that game so I can't say how it will run it but your system is good enough for most games so I would have to assume it would run at least ok.
Don't expect full speed in every game.
You will get like 80% (I had a CPU similar to yours).