Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building a HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mecrob99

Hello, I'm planning on building a HTPC. I'm planning on using it for watching HD movies and tv, to play blu rays, and emulation. Dolphin (Running in HD) is about the most intense program i plan on using so i thought this would be a good place to ask what kind of hardware do i need. I've looked at athlon ii, and phenom ii for the processor. Some people say athlon ii works well with dolphin, and i've heard others say to go with phenom Confused. As far as video cards go i have no idea what to expect. If anyone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.
well im a intel user but i definitely suggest phenom cpu because games on dolphin are intense on the cpu and plus little more power doesn't hurt
but depends on HTPC budget.

Mecrob99

I am looking at about 600 dollars for the main components. I'm planning on adding videos cards, and other components as i go if i have to.
just splurge on the components that you believe are worth it like your cpu, video card, ram, HD, etc
I'd say to wait for sandy bridge, as the new architecture should help dolphin. As for the video card, it depends. Do you just want 1080p or do you also want things like AA? Right now, getting an hd5750 or 5670 should suit you just fine.
4 GB DDR3 RAM, HD5770, Athlon X4 9XX or C2D E8XXX.
Will do.
Quote:4 GB DDR3 RAM, HD5770, Phenom II X2 5XX or C2D E8XXX.
Will do.

Fixed.