Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Sandy Bridge Intel HD Graphics 200 running PC games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In this test, I think they used the Intel HD Graphics 200 that has 6EU (Execution Unit), and on the higher end CPUs will come equipped with 12EU! The test shows that Intel's integrated graphic beats AMD's fully-fledged Radeon HD 5450 discrete GPU in a number of tests.

The future of IGP (Integrated Graphic Processor) is starting to look brighter and brighter. Based on the results of the test, I think it's safe to say that dolphin could run at "decent" frame rate on the Sandy Bridge IGP. Keep in mind that Intel Sandy Bridge comes in 2 forms, mainstream and high-end. The LGA 1155 socket or the Core i5 series is a mainstream motherboard/cpu and the LGA 2011 socket is the high-end version, so one can expects better CPU and IGP performance on the high-end CPUs/motherboards.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-s...in-a-row/7
Old article is old. A Radeon 5450 has a quarter of the capabilities of an 9600GT. These IGP's by the time they arrive they won't get any upgrade at all, at least until the next chip Intel will bring to the market. In the meantime new graphics cards will flow the market, and it is dubious if you will even be able to find a Radeon 5450 as a product by then. What i mean is that the gap between a discrete card and an IGP is enormous and it will stay that way, even after these chips arrive.
Too much marketing and fuss for nothing imo. And i would even bet that people will come in this forums and ask why their almighty INTEL IGP, the one as powerful as an almighty discrete Radeon 5450 crawls in Full HD gaming while they saw that other person in youtube run their game just fine.
(12-23-2010, 03:25 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]Old article is old. A Radeon 5450 has a quarter of the capabilities of an 9600GT. These IGP's by the time they arrive they won't get any upgrade at all, at least until the next chip Intel will bring to the market. In the meantime new graphics cards will flow the market, and it is dubious if you will even be able to find a Radeon 5450 as a product by then. What i mean is that the gap between a discrete card and an IGP is enormous and it will stay that way, even after these chips arrive.
Too much marketing and fuss for nothing imo. And i would even bet that people will come in this forums and ask why their almighty INTEL IGP, the one as powerful as an almighty discrete Radeon 5450 crawls in Full HD gaming while they saw that other person in youtube run their game just fine.

IGP's are for office use or people who don't play games (web flash acceleration, light 3d apps etc)

It's actually a fantastic invention because a vast chunk of people don't need a graphics card. People can just plug a hdmi/dvi cable from the computer to a screen without the need for a dedicated gpu
Quote:IGP's are for office use or people who don't play games (web flash acceleration, light 3d apps etc)

It's actually a fantastic invention because a vast chunk of people don't need a graphics card. People can just plug a hdmi/dvi cable from the computer to a screen without the need for a dedicated gpu

I completely agree with you. Yet i have counted too many people that self identify as gamers in forums using such chips. And then they complain :-p.
(12-23-2010, 03:38 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:IGP's are for office use or people who don't play games (web flash acceleration, light 3d apps etc)

I completely agree with you. Yet i have counted too many people that self identify as gamers in forums using such chips. And then they complain :-p.

Lately I've noticed that too.
Stupid people imho, they're like people who want to surf and don't even want to buy a board to surf on... just plain stupid...
Whenever someone here buys one of these new Sandy Bridge CPUs, report FPS here, eh? I might buy one if it can run SMG fullspeed with LLETongue
Since it is around an hd 5450, does anyone know how well an hd 5450 works for dolphin (VGA, no AA)? If it is enough, I might just get my next dolphin pc w/o a graphcs card.
A 5450 is enough for most games if you set efb scale to 1x (or off), use 640 x 480 as your screen resolution, turn off per pixel lighting, turn off per pixel depth, and turn off AA. But for higher resolution like 720p with a higher efb scale or AA it will struggle with most games.

You cannot pack the same amount of processing power into an igp with a die size of only 50mm^2 as a dedicated graphics processor with a die size of 200+ mm^2 if they have the same transistor size, that is just common sense. IGPs are getting better but they will never be anywhere near the level of a dedicated graphics processor since that is physicall impossble, unles of course you are comparing an outdated dedicated gpu with a modern igp.
IGP's will always be slower than dedicated cards because of restrictions when accessing RAM.

But yeah, old article, good stuff, 5450etcetcetc