Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A temporary fix for the LLE plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, everyone.

While I am not a programmer myself, I do know that the LLE plugin is faulty - and researching the forums, I noticed there is some unofficial effort to fix it. Since it is so complex, I propose the following workaround: a music customization plugin.

How would that work? Basically, you would implement a plugin that would read mp3 files (compression with loss of quality) or flac (compression without loss of quality). Then, you would get the soundtrack you want and replace it with your favorite one.

Why do I know this is viable? As I mentioned, it is done on the Xbox. Also, Gens has the following problem: when playing SegaCD games, it won't be able to play the music, so they implemented this functionality within the emulator. I have the original Sonic CD here, but the media is scratched, so I downloaded a copy and downloaded the soundtrack. It worked almost perfectly.

There are a few advantages to this:

a. Emulation would get much faster, as you would only need something to reproduce the tracks, not to emulate completely the way the game plays songs.
b. It would temporarily fix many games and make many people happy.

Now, there are only two problems to this approach that would need some addressing:

a. How to map each soundtrack to the correct place in the game? Ex: map a certain village to an specific soundtrack.
b. Ensure that the tracks will play looping, as they do in the original games.

What do you think of this temporary approach? I personally think it would be a temporary relief for many games out there, as I stated before, and it would give you time to implement the LLE plugin properly.
Something like this has been talked about before and done before, it's better to fix the DSP LLE plugin.
(SS) StarScream Wrote:Something like this has been talked about before, it's better to fix the DSP LLE plugin.

Sure it is better, but while we don't, why not do that in the meanwhile? Even though I'm not a coder, I suppose this workaround would be fairly easy to implement. As a plus, it would also allow people to customize the soundtrack of their games if so they wished.
(12-20-2010, 12:43 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Something like this has been talked about before and done before, it's better to fix the DSP LLE plugin.

(12-20-2010, 12:45 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2010, 12:37 AM)Mythrill Wrote: [ -> ]I have the original Sonic CD here, but the media is scratched, so I downloaded a copy and downloaded the soundtrack.

Get out of the forums Now

The reason being? The laws of my country allow me to posess a copy of the ROM as long as I have the original game. What would you like me to do? To scan the CD and the manual, maybe, to prove that?

(SS) Starscream Wrote:Something like this has been talked about before and done before, it's better to fix the DSP LLE plugin.

Oh, it was done before? I see, I'm sorry. Would you mind telling me why it didn't work? Did it take too much time to implement? Maybe it didn't work properly?

Your idea has been already been implemented. The GC/Wii can change music effects on the fly so starting up a MP3 like a CD player did not really work. If you'd like to try it anyway, look for a revision around the r2174 period.

http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/sou...ail?r=2174

Also moving your thread to general discussion because you haven't posted a patch - which is what the patches forum is for.
(12-20-2010, 08:59 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]Your idea has been already been implemented. The GC/Wii can change music effects on the fly so starting up a MP3 like a CD player did not really work. If you'd like to try it anyway, look for a revision around the r2174 period.

http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/sou...ail?r=2174

Also moving your thread to general discussion because you haven't posted a patch - which is what the patches forum is for.

It can change music effects on the fly? Mmm, interesting. I'm sorry about not posting a patch - I'm not really a coder. In any case, I'll try to find a compiled version of this revision (as I'm on Windows and I don't know how to compile it here either).

Mmmmmmm, I didn't find a build.
Perhaps because it's ancient
In case you forgot the purpose of an emulator is to emulate. This would directly go against that.
(12-20-2010, 12:54 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]In case you forgot the purpose of an emulator is to emulate. This would directly go against that.

Not really. If this were the case, then emulation would have to be a perfect copy of the real thing, and many optional filters, for instance, enhance the visual quality of games (improved resolution) or add special photoshop effects (postprocessing filters). If this is ok with video, why not with audio? It's not about forcing people to use it. It would be totally optional.