Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 100% with new processor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Intel CPUs (Core 2 series and up) are superior than AMD when it comes to emulation because it have more IPC (instruction-per-clock) and superior architecture design. If you want more speed then you'd need to overclock and/or get better GPU.
ehm so, if i overclock the phenom to 4ghz....it can be that i dont run at 100%, but if i overclock my graphic card (nice to overclock Wink ) it can be faster? i thought the graphic card is not sooo important..?
Most games will run full speed or near full speed at 4Ghz. Try playing dolphin at 720p or 1080p resolution and beyond and you'll see why you'd need better GPU.
Quote:I guess most Dolphin developers have Intel and thus have optimised Dolphin for Intel-CPUs, but that's only a guess.

Well that guess would be wrong. Dolphin isn't made in assembly code, it's mostly C and C++ so it's up to the compilers to optimize the assembly code.

The extra memory throughput alone makes an i3/i5/i7 worth it for dolphin considering how much memory read/write speed is needed for efb to ram to work without slowdowns in heavier games.
(12-17-2010, 01:25 AM)Tchort Wrote: [ -> ]what do you mean with "my cores dont hit 100% in most revisions" ? ...

i mean that, while using dolphin, i can bring up task manager and look at the cpu usage of each of my cores and they will not be at 100% meaning that my cpu is sufficient for the emulation. if one of your cores is at 100%, that means it is not keeping up with the emulation and will run below the desired speed. some games do not run at 100% even when there is cpu overhead left, in which case having a quicker core wont solve the issue.

now... im not going to tell you that the phenoms are better than i7s but, is it a good value? yes. from my personal experience with i7s, i havent noticed much of a dif. between them and phenoms. my friends i7 beat me on a 4M hyper pi calculation by about .01 seconds. was it worth 3x the cost? probably not.
hehe ok^^ so i will buy this phenom i think...140€ is more than enough xD .....

and i only have a 19" screen so playing at 720p or higher is not possible...no hd screen^^

and i'm not a graphic freak, so if i turn off anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering i could run the games at 100%? that would be enough for me^^
(12-17-2010, 03:42 AM)inteGReddy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-17-2010, 01:25 AM)Tchort Wrote: [ -> ]what do you mean with "my cores dont hit 100% in most revisions" ? ...

i mean that, while using dolphin, i can bring up task manager and look at the cpu usage of each of my cores and they will not be at 100% meaning that my cpu is sufficient for the emulation. if one of your cores is at 100%, that means it is not keeping up with the emulation and will run below the desired speed. some games do not run at 100% even when there is cpu overhead left, in which case having a quicker core wont solve the issue.

now... im not going to tell you that the phenoms are better than i7s but, is it a good value? yes. from my personal experience with i7s, i havent noticed much of a dif. between them and phenoms. my friends i7 beat me on a 4M hyper pi calculation by about .01 seconds. was it worth 3x the cost? probably not.

Oh be careful. Just because a program doesn't load 100% of the CPU doesn't mean it could run faster.
When CPUs were still Single-threaded then yes, you'd be right. But the problem is, one single thread can never use up more than 100% of ONE core.
For me (Quadcore & HT = 8 logical cores) a single thread cannot get beyond 12-13% CPU load (100% / 8 = 12.5%)
So Dolphin would never take up more than 25% of my CPUs power (because it's dual-threaded)

SuperPi is as far as I know single threaded, so the only difference between one CPU and another probably resides in the clocking.

Not to mention that different kinds of processors are better at some tasks, not at all of them.
A GPU for example is slower than a CPU, but if you use both a CPU and GPU to compute graphics, the GPU will yield better results (~40 FPS vs. 0-1FPS), why?
Because a CPU is specialized in full digit computation (...,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,...) and a GPU is specialized in floating point operations (for example 2.7 or 3.14).

So if AMD CPUs are better at floating point operations, this would explain the better results at SuperPi, but it wouldn't tell you much about its real-life performances.
Sorry for double posting, hope you guys aren't too strict about that on this forum...
(12-17-2010, 04:09 AM)Tchort Wrote: [ -> ]hehe ok^^ so i will buy this phenom i think...140€ is more than enough xD .....

and i only have a 19" screen so playing at 720p or higher is not possible...no hd screen^^

and i'm not a graphic freak, so if i turn off anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering i could run the games at 100%? that would be enough for me^^
AA and AF depend mostly on your graphics card, not the CPU (btw. I have a 15'' Full HD, but that's not my point)
I think if what you say is true, and that Phenom can really be OCd to 4GHz, then yes, it'd be a good choice for Dolphin that relies on high clockings.
BUT if you really intend to OC to that speed, you'd better invest in something VERY cool, like a Zalman cooler.
4 GHz will heat your CPU a lot and might cause instability and possibly a premature death. Think about it BEFORE overclocking, OK?

I'm just saying that, because my i7 dynamically overclocks itself and gets very hot during Dolphin emulations until the PC just shuts down (heating-protection). Unluckily, it's a Notebook, so there isn't much I can do against that...
yeah i will buy another cooler....i'm not really sure which i should buy...i thought the Scythe Mugen 2 would be nice...or should i buy an other cooler? what would you recommend? not expensive but nice results?
Uhm, Zalman?

I always hear good things about Zalman (if you want a fan-cooler)

For water-cooling I think the best isn't Zalman, but I've never used water-cooling, so I can't help you there.
which zalman is very good and cheap?...
Pages: 1 2 3