Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive been using it for several days now , and its really fecking awesome
what you guys programmers have pulled ofWinkTongue
i currently have a C2d 2.4 clocked @3,4 on air to get get a bit more frames ( graka is a 8800GTX ), but should it be useful to get a wolfsdale c2d that might be possible to run 4Ghz+ and with SSE4.1 ?
thanks in advance and keep up the good work Big Grin
Not really. The difference in performance would be small. Just wait and upgrade to a newer cpu architecture like sandy bridge in a year or two.
Yeah, small upgrades might seem convient at the time, but you're prbably going to regret the decision later
Why c2d and not i7?

I got an i7 1.7GHz (Turbo 2.8 GHz) and Dolphin works fast enough for me.
Because he doesn't want to spend the money to get a new cpu, motherboard, and ram if he can achieve a decent speedup by just buying a new cpu.
and to run dolphin on cuda tech ? let the gpu do all the work ?
or is that the same story as running it on quad cores .
no cuda, similar reason as no quad core
Actually the reason is not similar at all. GPUs are not better than cpus, they are better at certain types of math and worse in others. Dolphin relies heavily on branch prediction and even if the work was put into porting more components over to something like opencl it would actually wind up making the emulator run a lot slower, not to mention the lack of programmability would be a b*tch. I mean why use an api when you don't have to?
well, when I said similar, I meant that dolphin can't scale beyond 2 cores effectively.