Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Compatibility question...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok... recently I ordered an alienware m11X (who cares?) and it hasn't arrived yet, but I would like to know if it is capable of using dolphin before I go through the long process of obtaining ROMs for the system.

Specs:
Win 7 64 but
4 GB DDR3 RAM
1 GB Nividia GT335M GPU
1.6 Ghz (OCed) ULV Core 2 duo processor Full specs:1.3GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache [without BIOS overclock]

As you can tell, the processor is the real bottle-neck and my main concern... so, based on the expert opinions of the trusty dolphin experts, could my new M11X handle dolphin? If so, what configurations would you use?

Sorry if this is kind of lazy, but I really have to know, my 60 MB/s DSL is a precious resource I can't waste on huge DL's for nothing!
1. Don't talk about downloading games, period, it can get you banned here

2. We don't use ROMS (read only memory). Those were used for the old cartridge games. GC and Wii games are on discs not cartridges so we use disc images, such as .iso or .gcm

3. Can you be more specific about the cpu? I'm guessing it's either a pentium d mobile editin or core duo. If so then running at a 1.6GHz clock rate will yield abysmal performance in nearly all games.
(12-14-2010, 02:43 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]1. Don't talk about downloading games, period, it can get you banned here

2. We don't use ROMS (read only memory). Those were used for the old cartridge games. GC and Wii games are on discs not cartridges so we use disc images, such as .iso or .gcm

3. Can you be more specific about the cpu? I'm guessing it's either a pentium d mobile editin or core duo. If so then running at a 1.6GHz clock rate will yield abysmal performance in nearly all games.
I tried to avoid the topic of DL's in my post( I never directly refer to any form of game being downloaded; I simply said that obtaining games is a long process and that the necessary files for dolphin (including the emulator itself) are quite large for a 60Kb/s DSL connection), sorry about having mentioning it and rest assured I have owned every game I may or may not have ever obtained via the so called internet. I understand ROM's are read only memory and I simply used the popular term to avoid any specifics about any DL's, and finally it's an ultra low voltage dual core intel processor built to run games, this is why I'm unsure. (hence the brand new alienware laptop)

any revisions regarding downloads will be made to make my post even more indirect

EDIT:
I posted all the specs for the CPU beneath the GPU specs., I mean that with the high powered DDR3 RAM and GB of NVIDIA GPU I figured they could compensate for the lackluster CPU that could use dual core threading techniques to improve performance. On a final note, the 1.6 Ghz is a BIOS overclock so it tends to be more stable (thnx alienware!)
EDIT 2:
IF the CPU could work, what configurations would you use?
You still haven't told me what cpu it is. For all I know it could be a pentium d mobile edition.
(12-15-2010, 06:22 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]You still haven't told me what cpu it is. For all I know it could be a pentium d mobile edition.

This help?:
IntelĀ® CoreTM 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Yes, that's what i was looking for. Thank you. With that cpu 99% of games will not be able to achieve playable speed.
(12-15-2010, 08:10 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's what i was looking for. Thank you. With that cpu 99% of games will not be able to achieve playable speed.
even with the BIOS overclock I guess... Well thanks anyway, but what about GC games?

EDIT:It overclocks to 1.73 Ghz not 1.6 and it gets a 3dmark06 score of 6400 with overclock and 5600 without it

EDIT 2: I also seem to have found a post on notebook reviews about dolphin that contradicts this:
02-11-2010, 03:42 PM #3553 (permalink)
CallsignHUSKER
Notebook Enthusiast
Rep Power: 3 Re: **Official Alienware M11x Owner's Lounge - Part 2**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopicante123
So have you tested them on your system and if so is there a considerable lag when playing? How is the fps? Are they playable? I would love to do some gamecube stuff on the M11X

indeed, check their site for a compatibility list, but yes in general many gamecube and wii games work well on it. They even have support for multiple wii-motes at the same time...
Most GC games would need a clock rate of at least 2.4-2.6 GHz minimum with that cpu.
(12-15-2010, 08:51 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Most GC games would need a clock rate of at least 2.4-2.6 GHz minimum with that cpu.

Ok, I updated my last post by the way... Thanks again!
chaoko, you will be able to play some Gamecube games decently well, but not many. I can give you a short list of those games if you're interested. But you can't really expect too much with that CPU.
Pages: 1 2