Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Quad Core?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey Dudes!

Sry if such a thread already exist, but i have a question^^

So is it possible that dolphin works with all 4 cores?
because i'm running dolphin on my notebook with:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 @ 2.0Ghz
Nvidia Geforce 9800M GTS
4GB RAM
and Windows 7 64-Bit

....but the most games are very very slow....i read thousands of perfomance guides...but the most games are very slow Sad

so do you know what i mean? dolphin works with 2 cores @ 2.0Ghz.....thats low....but if it works with 4 cores @ 2.0Ghz it can be faster or not?...

and i'm not sure....can someone recommend a very good version of dolphin for me? because i have SSE 4.1 support on my cpu...and i'm using the official releases on the dolphin homepage..(of course 64-Bit) ...

and sorry for my bad english, i'm german XP

Greetz Tchort
I've barely been here and I am getting sick of this question. No, there is no way, it's impossible.

Lectrode probably among others makes SSE4.1 builds. There's a thread with links. I'd go for the newest version, much newer than the 2.0 official release you are probably using, but I hear some older ones are faster, but not the case for me.
Quote:I've barely been here and I am getting sick of this question. No, there is no way, it's impossible.

Lol. You should have seen it when this question first started being asked shorty after dual threading became usable. It was WORSE back then. I literally answered 3-4 different threads with this same question within just 1 week alone. You think you're sick of it now? You just wait another year when you've seen it asked over 50 times, literally.
I remember seing another one such post, but I wasn't forum-member at that time.

People said something like: "The only threads we could separate to benefit from multicore architecture are the CPU, the GPU and the DSPLLE (the later of which is nearly useless and causes heavy sync issues)"

I just wanted to know (and I'm not really an expert in this): Couldn't the JIT be in a separate thread? Or if this causes too much of a desync, why not add an option to fully recompile the ISO before playing the game.
Wait a few hours now and play the game at higher speed from that time forward. Is this possible?
Quote: Couldn't the JIT be in a separate thread?

The jit IS the cpu emulator. It's already on a seperate thread. If you mean separating the recompiling from the execution that is possible but difficult and probably not worth it.

Quote:Or if this causes too much of a desync, why not add an option to fully recompile the ISO before playing the game.
Wait a few hours now and play the game at higher speed from that time forward. Is this possible?

I already answered this is the other thread where you posted this, the short answer is no.

I wonder sometimes, isn't it possible to make Dolphin understand the quadcore like a dualcore, like a 2.0 quadcore would be for Dolphin a 4.0 dualcore?
Quote:I wonder sometimes, isn't it possible to make Dolphin understand the quadcore like a dualcore, like a 2.0 quadcore would be for Dolphin a 4.0 dualcore?

*facepalm*

No it doesn't work that way. I am not going to spend another few hours explaining multithreading when I have done it so many times in this forum already, here is one such thread: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...556&page=3
(12-18-2010, 06:56 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I wonder sometimes, isn't it possible to make Dolphin understand the quadcore like a dualcore, like a 2.0 quadcore would be for Dolphin a 4.0 dualcore?

*facepalm*

No it doesn't work that way. I am not going to spend another few hours explaining multithreading when I have done it so many times in this forum already, here is one such thread: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...556&page=3

Haha srry for that bud, CPUs really arent my area Tongue
It's ok, it took me awhile before I truly understood multithreading on a deep level. If you keep using computers and scientific applications it will come naturally after awhile without you having to do any research.
(12-18-2010, 06:56 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]*facepalm*

Seems like you're about to understand why I started trolling instead of giving helpful answers to even stupid questions^^
Pages: 1 2