Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: RAMDISK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
sorry for opening up another thread about the RamDisk app, but after checking everything on the forum I'm still confused .
there is probably not one Ramdisk program out there but from what I read here following the links I end up not knowing how to get the program to work
(this link: http://members.fortunecity.com/ramdisk/R...skfree.htm

Im running HP laptop with Vista Home Premium x32, i have 4 GB of RAM, and Nvidia 9200 9600M GT . and there is either quite a lot of shuttering or the games just run slow.
I also tried the RamDisk program that is shown in this video (which was in the same post as the previous link but obviously for a different program) , but that app is licenced so i only get to test it 30 day and I cant allocate a ramdisk of more than 2 GB with it.....
which brings me back to my main question: How do one use a virtual RamDisk? Do i have to put the ripped games (DVD..4GB+) in the virtual disk like the guy in the video showed? Or do I just leave it there and let the system handle it?

My plea is to those who got RamDisk running....pls post a quick tutorial, no more than a couple of rows ....
1.LINK to the WORKING app
2.install - how
3.virtual ram disk -what size
4.virtual ram disk - what to do with it

EDIT:

alright skip those steps about how to install and just tell me has someone of you managed to create a lets say 6GB Rampartition on a system with specs similar to mine (Vista Premium x32, 4 GB RAM)
1st, you don't have enough RAM memory to fit a wii iso in it. A wii iso size is 4,37 GByte while your entire RAM is 4 GByte, with 1 GByte used by your operating system alone. It's like trying to fit an elephant through a little hole, it will never happen.
Second judging by your specs, being a laptop, 32 bit vista and 9200 video card, you won't have any noticeable difference, since your system lacks power for dolphin emulation in general. If i were you i wouldn't bother with RAMDISK programs, the difference would be like a drop in the ocean. Too much hassle for nearly nothing at all, what you need is a new and powerful desktop.
u can try compress them with dolphin...sometime less than 1gbBig Grin
Thanks for pointing it out Link_to _the_past, I knew i was missing something here.
Thanks for the tip Sasuketaichou I'll try it right now.
Thing is I have my desktop, but i also have my Wii at home, i was really hoping to get the fps up a bit on my laptop at university...
at least i have Mario Galaxy 2 and its speed is decent.....(fps 24-55).
(12-13-2010, 10:12 AM)mengo Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for pointing it out Link_to _the_past, I knew i was missing something here.
Thanks for the tip Sasuketaichou I'll try it right now.
Thing is I have my desktop, but i also have my Wii at home, i was really hoping to get the fps up a bit on my laptop at university...
at least i have Mario Galaxy 2 and its speed is decent.....(fps 24-55).

Your fps won't go up, at best some fps stuttering (sudden drops, hickups) might lower. It is like a small detail that might bother some people with powerful systems that already run the games they have fullspeed most of the time, in your case though the problem is different.
ok I get it my laptop is slow , but not that slow in comparison to other poster's systems ..... (updated the GPU, it is actually a nV 9600M Gt)

and still ... does the amount of real ram set the limit to how much virtual ram one can address...as I said the RamDisk program wont allow me to set a 6GB disk.... and recently it even says 2GB cant be alocated because of lack of continuous memory... i hope defragmenting fixes that...or maybe I'm wrong
one more thing... I'd like to ask that is so stupid it doesnt need a need thread.....

Do I just need to download the r65** version and run it or merge the v65** with the files of 2.0 (stable)....

cause in the screenshots i see around the forum most guy's menus in Doplhin look kinda different from mine... or is it the newer version of the emulator that are posted literally every other day
It's a new version. You won't need to merge anything.