Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Worth upgrading to 64 bit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am currently running win 7 32 bit on system.
Would it be worth going 64bit to enhance performance?
System specs
C2D 2.4Ghz
4 gigs of 1066Mhz ram
320 Gig HDD
Geforce 320m 256Meg

As long as your Processor supports it.... YES !
Then you can use all 4GB RAM.
Of Course the Dolphin 64-Bit Build is a little bit faster than the 32-BIT Build
If it will get me at least 10 FPS more in games I will do it.
Otherwise it is probably too much of a hassle to reinstall everything.
Nahhz, 10fps would've driven everyone to 64 bit operating systems by now...
It's nowhere near that high
Yeah, it's more like 5-9. Still worth doing.
(12-13-2010, 04:47 AM)Diddy Kong Wrote: [ -> ]It's nowhere near that high

It's even higher in some cases Smile

Here's one example: You get a whopping 11fps boost in Donkey Kong Country Returns (49fps -> 60fps)
I haven't 32-bit Dolphin on 32-bit Windows, but 32-bit Dolphin on 64-bit Windows is indeed about 10fps slower than 64-bit, depends on the game.
Running a 32 bit build on a 64 bit OS will yield the same performance as running a 32 bit build on a 32 bit OS (assuming it's the same OS). It depends on the game and hardware but I think the difference is about 20% on average with recent builds. So with a 60 fps game the difference probably is 10 fps with a lot of games.
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to go 64bit. The speedup will be nice along with being able to use all my ram.
Not really a big difference from the RAM point of view, Dolphin has very little RAM requirements so on Windows 7 with all its background processes 2gb is more than enough, but the 64 bit structure could give you a big speedup... or not. Depends on your Hardware combination, it's pretty unpredictable, but I'd say go for it.. Wink

Also, sometimes the general ingame speed is no affected, but helps in situations where the paralel processing is more needed, for example: Say I have a game witch fullspeed is at 60fps. Generally I can run it at 50-55 fps but when in local multiplayer it drops to 30-35fps. In some cases upgrading to 64 bit would not give speed up to the general ingame speed, witch stays at 50-55, but the multiplayer speed goes up to 50-55. This happens for example with Smash Bros, when the GFX card is holding the game back at 50-55 but upgrading to 64 bit would help paralel processing needed in multiplayer but njot fix the GFX card holding back.
This is of course just an example, showing one very specific situation with a certain hardware combination, but helps understanding what 64 bit does in Dolphin Big Grin

In other words, 64bit makes the processing "band" larger.
Pages: 1 2