Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin i7 mobile problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Trying to get some info out of the command line, I find this: vcbuild.exe : error VCBLD0007: Could not find project configuration RELEASE|X64 to build.
Ah ok it doesn't install the 64-bit compilers by default, they are hidden well.

Sure, what's it do? .. n/m, I know what you want me to do.

And we're compiling....
Just compile is as x86 if you have to. All I need you to do is test this real quick if you can.
(12-15-2010, 08:39 AM)xenofears Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to get some info out of the command line, I find this: vcbuild.exe : error VCBLD0007: Could not find project configuration RELEASE|X64 to build.
Ah ok it doesn't install the 64-bit compilers by default, they are hidden well.

Sure, what's it do? .. n/m, I know what you want me to do.

And we're compiling....

Ok, removing the if->then didn't work, it was only using 1 core. Time to try something different.
0 and 2 causes it to use 2 fully and the rest getting spread. 2 and 4 makes it use 2 and 3.. 2 and 5 does the same.. WTF? (the only places the threads are specified are twice, line ~269 and ~317?

3 and 5 seems to do what we want - threads 1 and 3.

(When I say "x" and "y" I mean thread x on line ~269 and core y on ~317).
I'm more interested in performance. Turn off audio throttle, framelimiter, and v-sync. Then run some games. If turning on lock threads to cores results in a performance drop then you know it's using two logical threads on the same physical core, if the performance is nearly identical then you know it's using two logical threads that belong to two different physical cores, which is what we want (remember to restart the game each time you toggle lcok threads to cores on/off).

So does 3 and 5 result in no slowdown from lock threads to cores? If that's true then I think we found a winner Smile.
(12-15-2010, 09:37 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I'm more interested in performance. Turn off audio throttle, framelimiter, and v-sync. Then run some games. If turning on lock threads to cores results in a performance drop then you know it's using two logical threads on the same physical core, if the performance is nearly identical then you know it's using two logical threads that belong to two different physical cores, which is what we want (remember to restart the game each time you toggle lcok threads to cores on/off).

So does 3 and 5 result in no slowdown from lock threads to cores? If that's true then I think we found a winner Smile.

I have no idea, I'd have to build it properly to compare. I'll make two release builds x64 standard to compare them.
Or I could just make them both debug.

Odd, it's still jumping between the first two threads (which should belong to the same core so it shouldn't matter), but the third thread is sticking firm.

Something very odd about this routine Smile

Ah wait, I guess I don't need to compare builds, I am just comparing lock threads to standard dual core..
I guess I can compare two debug builds..
Quote:Odd, it's still jumping between the first two threads (which should belong to the same core so it shouldn't matter), but the third thread is sticking firm.

Something very odd about this routine

That's fine. It's still using 2 physical cores. As long as the performance is where it should be we know we're good.
And 3 and 5 are a winner! It's faster even by like 5-10fps with Lock Threads now Smile

Of course, I am not comparing 3 and 5 to 1 and 2 without Lock Threads. Let me do that before I make a real build.

Preliminary tests show more Turbo Boost.
Quote:Of course, I am not comparing 3 and 5 to 1 and 2 without Lock Threads. Let me do that before I make a real build.

Doesn't matter. Look at the code more closely
Code:
if (_CoreParameter.bLockThreads)

That means it's only used if bLockThreads is on (lock threads to cores). Otherwise the OS manages the threading not dolphin, so setting the affinity won't do anything if lock threads to cores is off. So Turning off lock threads to cores will yield the same result no matter what you set those to.
You know where I can put in my own title line for the build like say Lectrode does?
(12-15-2010, 10:02 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Of course, I am not comparing 3 and 5 to 1 and 2 without Lock Threads. Let me do that before I make a real build.

Doesn't matter. Look at the code more closely
Code:
if (_CoreParameter.bLockThreads)

That means it's only used if bLockThreads is on (lock threads to cores). Otherwise the OS manages the threading not dolphin, so setting the affinity won't do anything if lock threads to cores is off.

You're right.
Quote:You know where I can put in my own title line for the build like say Lectrode does?

What title line? Show me where it is and I might be able to locate the code for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6