Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Twlight Princess Crash again...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had another post about the game crashing, only happened when i was trying to 'Howl" as the wolf which is a part of the game.
I finally got past it, i figured if i run to a different area or read a road sign then go back to the cliff it would work..

Anyways...
Now im farther into the GAME, in the Forrest just before entering the Sacred Grove, i have to HOWL once again. First time trying it crashed, so then i tried running into Sacred Grove then back out to the stone so i can howl, well yea it works. then it transports me to the Cliff in Zoras domain where i have no choice but to click A button to HOWL again to complete the step so i can continue playing.
Only this time when it transports me i cant leave the cliff, or do anything aside from tap the A button to HOWL, and thus EVERY time the game crashes.

I cant seem to figure out a way around this one, any ideas why the game would keep crashing when howling or what i could try to fix this?
Im like more then half way done the game i dont wanna quit now.
Well i lucked out again on my 15th try of doing it, it finally didnt crash it just let me howl like it was supposed,
thanks for the help i appreciate it.
lol
i hope this game doesnt really crash out on me on the last level ill be so pissed ill probably cut my wiener off and sell it on ebay
Do you have audio throttle enabled? Disabling it might help. Also some people have stated that taking savestates right before doing it helps. Even if it still crashes at least you can instantly try again by loading the savestate. Other options that might help are turning off panic handlers, turning off hle audio (just until you get past it), using the JITIL recompiler instead of the jit recompiler, turning off idle skipping, turning off dual core, or changing the disc transfer rate in the game properties. Until we know exactly what the problem is I won't know which of those options will help if any. All I can tell is that it is either an issue with audio emulation or cpu emulation, the first step to figuring out the problem would be figuring out which of those it is.

Edit: Ok I did some digging, it is indeed an issue with cpu emulation. Found the error message as well:
Quote:---------------------------
Warning
---------------------------
Read from invalid memory region (0x38210020)

This is either the game crashing randomly, or a TLB write.Several games uses the TLB to map memory. This
function is not supported in Dolphin. Unfortunately there is no way to recover from this error,so Dolphin will now exit abruptly. Sorry!
OK

Basically it's trying to read from a memory address that doesn't exist. I'm now curios to see if dual core, idle skipping, or the jitil recompiler effect this issue. Would you be willing to do some testing for me?
I think this is actually a DSP issue, probably due to the DSP accessing a memory address or writing to an incorrect address. One way to find out if it is an issue with the HLE plugin is to test with the LLE plugin, if it doesn't crash then it is indeed a DSP issue.

Someone I recently helped had crashes due to a bad image, although in a different spot so either or could be an issue. I've never encountered this error or crash, although the last time I played through the game was back in the late 4xxx revisions. I've only been testing bits and pieces of the game since then.
I encountered the crash but then I just went right back and tried it again with the same settings and poof!, worked. And I am positive it is not a dsp issue, turning off hle audio doesn't fix it.
Disabling audio doesn't always solve dsp issues, as I said try the LLE plugin and see if the same crash occurs. I believe it was mentioned that this was a dsp issue a while back.

Arkantoz

(12-07-2010, 04:28 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have audio throttle enabled? Disabling it might help. Also some people have stated that taking savestates right before doing it helps. Even if it still crashes at least you can instantly try again by loading the savestate. Other options that might help are turning off panic handlers, turning off hle audio (just until you get past it), using the JITIL recompiler instead of the jit recompiler, turning off idle skipping, turning off dual core, or changing the disc transfer rate in the game properties. Until we know exactly what the problem is I won't know which of those options will help if any. All I can tell is that it is either an issue with audio emulation or cpu emulation, the first step to figuring out the problem would be figuring out which of those it is.

Edit: Ok I did some digging, it is indeed an issue with cpu emulation. Found the error message as well:
Quote:---------------------------
Warning
Read from invalid memory region (0x38210020)

This is either the game crashing randomly, or a TLB write.Several games uses the TLB to map memory. This
function is not supported in Dolphin. Unfortunately there is no way to recover from this error,so Dolphin will now exit abruptly. Sorry!
OK

Basically it's trying to read from a memory address that doesn't exist. I'm now curios to see if dual core, idle skipping, or the jitil recompiler effect this issue. Would you be willing to do some testing for me?

IDLE SKIPING!!!!

THANKS, I HAD MONTHS WITH THIS PROBLEM AND I CAN RESOLVE WITH THIS! IDLE SKIPING! THANKS SO MUCH!
I was getting this problem when I played the game with r4598, and the only thing that fixed it was TLB hack (MMU speed hack actually)...