Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Does your Wii games run in Native HD or upscaled?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

PATRIOT7ME

I heard it was upscaled.
Dolphin supports real HD internal resolution increases. Not upscaling. It CAN do upscaling, but only if you choose not to use internal resolution bumping. You could have just looked at some of the HD images or videos floating around for this question though...
Reals Wiis runs in 480i/p. A Wii on HDTVs it's upscaled. Dolphin however can render Wii games in any resolution (not upscaled), or you can upscale them if you want
(12-07-2010, 12:35 AM)Granville Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin supports real HD internal resolution increases. Not upscaling. It CAN do upscaling, but only if you choose not to use internal resolution bumping. You could have just looked at some of the HD images or videos floating around for this question though...

yeah, we're not talking about dvds here, ha.
(12-07-2010, 12:59 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Reals Wiis runs in 480i/p. A Wii on HDTVs it's upscaled. Dolphin however can render Wii games in any resolution (not upscaled), or you can upscale them if you want
Wow, there are people who know what they're talking about around on these forums after all Wink
In short, yes. Dolphin supports native hd resolution.

As KHRZ said, Dolphin can render games at any resolution, so if you want HD Native resolution just configure Dolphin at 1920x1080 pixels.
(12-07-2010, 01:24 AM)kernel64 Wrote: [ -> ]In short, yes. Dolphin supports native hd resolution.

As KHRZ said, Dolphin can render games at any resolution, so if you want HD Native resolution just configure Dolphin at 1920x1080 pixels.

or, 1920x1200 if you aren't using a vizio =0

PATRIOT7ME

How is it native HD? Wii games are done in a native 480p and you would have to reprogram the game to change the native resolution.
Not true. Dolphin acts as an inbetween step between what the game wants to do and what the output actually is. So if the game asks us to draw a 640 x 480 image dolphin can say "ok" then draw a 1280 x 960 image instead, the game doesn't know or care what we actually did. It's also easy to implement since 3D vectors and rasterizers are inherently easily and infinitely scalable.
As the man before me said, 3d can be output in any resolution and it will not lose its quality ever. However textures and images aka 2d material can only be upscaled from their original resolution.
For instance earlier resident evil games were always 3d models rendered in a 2d static background. If you output these games on dolphin @ 1920 resolution,
you will find that the player looks very sharp, while the environment will look pixelated. I personally prefer to run those games at a lower resolution so the 3d and 2d matches eachother.
Pages: 1 2