Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will my Computer Work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

html99

I'm planning on buying a computer for gaming but I want to make sure dolphin will work before I buy anything. The specs will be:

AMD Phenom II X3 740BE 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz
4GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 460 768MB

I have 2 CPUs listed because the Phenom II is currently out of stock so the Athlon II is my backup. I basically want to be able to run any Wii or Gamecube game at full speed. It would be nice to get it running at 720p but it's not a requirement.

Edit: I'm also considering an AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz. Would that be any better?
The Phenom II would be a better choice for dolphin due to the extra cache capacity.

html99

(12-04-2010, 03:06 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]The Phenom II would be a better choice for dolphin due to the extra cache capacity.

So if I use the Phenom II would I be able to get full speed on Wii games, even on some of the more demanding ones?
not on mario galaxy games/xenoblade etc.
You'll get fullspeed or good speed on most games though. But ocean is right, some games are extremely demanding and only on overclocked i3/i5/i7 will have any shot of getting close to fullspeed.

html99

(12-04-2010, 04:07 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]not on mario galaxy games/xenoblade etc.

Would it be possible to get full speed by using frame skip? Also would Brawl run full speed? Thanks for all your help!
Frameskipping only gives a very marginal speedup, especially on high end systems frameskipping is pretty much useless.
(12-04-2010, 04:32 AM)html99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2010, 04:07 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]not on mario galaxy games/xenoblade etc.

Would it be possible to get full speed by using frame skip? Also would Brawl run full speed? Thanks for all your help!

Brawl will work full speed yeah.

html99

Just found out that Newegg stopped selling the Phenom II. I was only planning on getting the Phenom II because they were selling it for $88. Can someone recommend another CPU that would preform similarly or better for less than $100 that would work with this mother board and power supply?

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
SeaSonic S12II 520W
Just get a Phenom II X2 instead. Dolphin only uses 2 cores anyways: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103846

And yeah that was a great price. You should have bought that while you had the chance.