Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pentium D 8.20 @ 4ghz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've done some research and found that my pentium d 820 can be overclocked to 4ghz with sufficient cooling. How would dolphin perform on that?
just add 50 bucks over that cooling your thinking about and get an i3 clocked at 3ghz. your cpu sucks. I had it 4 years ago and it was incompetent.
Overclocking isn't that simple. 4GHz is quite impressive for a Pent D... and would need massive cooling (Pent D's are bloody hot).

I can almost guarantee that you won't get near 4GHz - overclocking is a chip by chip thing, 2 chips are not alike.

You're better off buying a better CPU with the $50 than new cooling! Otherwise it's counter-productive. If you're in the USA then you can get PC gear dirt cheap...
Pentium D's clock high, but performance per clock is still subpar due to netbursts extremely long pipelines.
Pentium Dual Core e5400 2.7Ghz > Pentium D 820 @ 4Ghz (i believe)
I owned Pentium D so i know how slow it is
Quote:Overclocking isn't that simple. 4GHz is quite impressive for a Pent D... and would need massive cooling (Pent D's are bloody hot).

*begins laughing*

You have clearly never overclocked a pentium D before. They are the second most overclockable x86 cpus ever produced, only pentium 4 cedar mills can beat them in overclocking. For me 5.6 GHz was achievable on a $150 water cooling setup with full load temps of 67C, prime95 stable with only a .25v voltage increase. They would have run ice cold if the stock coolers weren't such shit. Hell we had pentium 4s that ran at 4 GHz STOCK and pentium Ds are essentially just two pentium 4s on one socket. We had pentium ds that were 3.4GHz STOCK.

Also I agree with everyone else here. No matter how much overclocking you do it will still be shit next to even the worst core 2 duos. Performance per clock was abysmal on pentium ds compared to modern cpus.