Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Overclocking my processor...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here are my specs

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1, v.721

System Model: HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC

Processor: AMD Turion™ II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620 (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3580MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series

Display Memory: 1850 MB

Driver Date/Size: 10/26/2010

Alright now I have a program called AMD OverDrive that will allow me to overclock my processor and raise the voltage or whatever. My question is to yield the best performance in Dolphin how much should I overclock it?
Overclock it as high as you can be stable. I suggest going a little at a time and running Prime95 to make sure you're not going to experience crashes.
(11-30-2010, 07:14 AM)hungry man Wrote: [ -> ]Overclock it as high as you can be stable. I suggest going a little at a time and running Prime95 to make sure you're not going to experience crashes.

Here is what AMD OverDrive is showing me

CPU Core0 Speed Target Speed: 2500 MHz

CPU Core0 Current Speed: 2508 MHz

CPU Core1 same as Core 0

HyperTransport Link Speed: Target Speed: 1800MHz

Memory Frequency 400.00MHz and current is the same

PCIe Speed 100MHz and current is 0.
You're running dolphin on a laptop. The hardware you have in it isn't all that good. The amd turion m620 is JUST a little bit better than my old desktop cpu (core2duo e6600).
I overclocked the e6600 from 2.4 to 3ghz. And I was able to run wii/ngc games @ decent speeds. But definately not full speed. Especially the cpu heavy games.
However in comparison I already had a ati HD4870, as where you have a low to mid-end mobile radeon. So that's probably gonna set you back a few fps.

If you're gonna overclock, my advice is to just get it as high as possible, cause even then it's not gonna run @ full speed.
As long as it's stable you're fine.

But be sure to look up overclocking tutorials, so you know what you're doing.
I took a quick peek, but it seems there are little to no specific overclocking guides for the m620.

AMD overdrive should do most of the work for you though.
But I suggest to use the program 'orthos' to test for stability once overclocked. http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138142-orthos.html
Let orthos run for a few hours at least. And if no red flags are raised, you're good to go.
actually, dont try to oc a laptop. they run hot enough as it is. My hp laptop with an athlon 320m @2.1 ghz reaches 80-85 degrees celcius when i play dolphin. it doesnt get close to fullspeed either. and im not overclocked. any temps above that will probably permanently damage my hardware.
(11-30-2010, 08:16 AM)my_rig_is_dust Wrote: [ -> ]actually, dont try to oc a laptop. they run hot enough as it is. My hp laptop with an athlon 320m @2.1 ghz reaches 80-85 degrees celcius when i play dolphin. it doesnt get close to fullspeed either. and im not overclocked. any temps above that will probably permanently damage my hardware.

The man has a valid point. Personally I wouldn't suggest running @ temps above 70 even. But it depends on the cpu. I have to admit I know less about amd than intel cpu's, but things like max temps etc. can be looked up online.

Always stay at least 20-30% away from max temp.

software like realtemp http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ and coretemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ can be used for monitoring your core temps in windows.
Coretemp even has settings for a warning/system shut down if your temps reach a temp you set.
Heat shouldn't be such an issue as long as you're monitoring it... and different computers deal with heat better than others.
First rule of overclocking, never overclock on a laptop!