Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Feature: AVI Recording?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Maybe for the next major release of Dolphin that we should be able to record AVI files in game via the emulator rather then use something like Fraps that pretty much on most computers drops the frame rate significantly. You would think well if it lags some what good will that do to have this feature? Well take for example the DS emulator DeSmuMe. I get pretty much almost full FPS with a little bit of lag and when I record with it's built in AVI recorder it drops the frame rate a little while it records after I selected my codec to use. But surprisingly after the recording was done I thought to myself I bet my recording will be all laggy and it actually was not. It played at full frames normally in which case I was surprised being that it lagged a little during recording and it did not capture that in the recording. The current Dolphin recorder via the capturing with the DTM format should really just be thrown out and bring in something like this so it may run the chance that we can record videos with some lag im sure but in the end it's like what I got a normal Frame per second video whereas programs like Fraps and other capture software will just capture the lag instead of going around it and capture it full frames. Sorry my speech was long here but I just feel that this would be an awesome feature for Dolphin's next major release.

Anyone else agree?
this is a good idea but there some draw backs to it.

1. cpu will be use more while using dolphin
2. when recording it can cause game glitches and audio problem

If anyone have used pcsx2 , this emulator had a recording feature
but it blackfire because the recorded video was extremely laggy
and sometimes with no sound.

but for now i'll stay using fraps
(11-29-2010, 08:20 AM)knglrk Wrote: [ -> ]this is a good idea but there some draw backs to it.

1. cpu will be use more while using dolphin
2. when recording it can cause game glitches and audio problem

If anyone have used pcsx2 , this emulator had a recording feature
but it blackfire because the recorded video was extremely laggy
and sometimes with no sound.

but for now i'll stay using fraps

Only thing about that is I tried recording my DeSmuMe videos with Fraps just to test and it captured the lag but the internal AVI recorder did not. PCSX2 I believe requires more hardware then Dolphin but I do think that this feature should be implemented and tested.
there already is avi recording in the dx9 plugin, just no sound.
(11-29-2010, 08:42 AM)boogerlad Wrote: [ -> ]there already is avi recording in the dx9 plugin, just no sound.

hmmm I didnt see that but maybe they can eventually get it working because the internal DTM recording just captures the lag.
no sound? what a waste

still will stay using fraps
(11-29-2010, 09:53 AM)knglrk Wrote: [ -> ]no sound? what a waste

still will stay using fraps

Just like Fraps it also captures any lag in-game and that can get annoying if they can just simply get this to work so it would be alot easier. Just hopefully they can eventually Tongue
yeah and with fraps to record at 60 fps you need to get 120 fps in game.
its almost like you need to get the ammount of fps fraps is recording at extra.
(11-29-2010, 10:47 AM)my_rig_is_dust Wrote: [ -> ]yeah and with fraps to record at 60 fps you need to get 120 fps in game.
its almost like you need to get the ammount of fps fraps is recording at extra.

I use a HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC.

AMD Turion™ II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620 (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series

Driver Date/Size: 10/26/2010 21:55:22, 547328 bytes

Pretty decent laptop huh?
speaking about fraps, its time for a better game capturing software
i've been using fraps for my wii videos and play claw for my other pc games

i assume that no one know about playclaw in this forums
but its better than fraps with no lag (seriously no lag)
and the only problem that play claw has is doesnt detect dx9 , opengl ,nor dx11
in emulators and not only dolphin.

is not free but i guarantee that you will not see lag
check it out

www.playclaw.com/

hopefully someone will get this recorder to in dolphin and other emulators.
Pages: 1 2