Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is waiting for sandy bridge going to be worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it? I'm probably getting an i3, so should I wait for sandy bridge or get a current one cheap today? Also, how adequate will the sandy bridge graphics be? Also, I hear that the current i3s have a lot of overclockability, so take that into account.
We can't answer any of this until is actually comes out. It might be a little faster, it might be a lot faster, we won't know until it is out.
But will the new instructions, like that fast floating point vector instruction benefit the emulator. Also, if I can overclock a current i3 to 4 ghz, is that sufficient for games like super Mario galaxy and twilight princess?
Quote:But will the new instructions, like that fast floating point vector instruction benefit the emulator.

What did I just say? We can't know until it comes out.

Quote:Also, if I can overclock a current i3 to 4 ghz, is that sufficient for games like super Mario galaxy and twilight princess?

Should be enough to run TP fullspeed all the time with nearly any settings. It still won't run mario galaxy fullspeed all the time with proper settings though, but it will still run it fullspeed more than 95% of the time and in the few places that don't run fullspeed it will be close to fullspeed. Of course the emulator might become slower over time as more and more changes are implemented just like it already has.
you know the sandy bridge i7 CPU will be almost $300 right where as i3 are like $100
@linkinworm

How do you know that since intel hasn't released the planned prices yet?
it would be pointless to wait for any cpu to come out. if you do that, you might as well not even own a pc. there is always going to be something better in the worx and where do you draw the line between waiting for something better to come out and being satisfied with something that is already on the market?
Most retailers have motherboard stock, some managed to buy the cpu though.

retail sample
You know, after Sandy Bridge there'll be something newer and better and if you keep waiting for the newest and best, you'll wait for an eternity.

First it's the Sandy Bridge CPU, then you'll wait for something like a Radeon HD6000 or a GeForce GT600 and once that's out in the market, you'll wait for another Intel architecture and so on.

Believe me, just buy your computer when you need a new one and only wait for something new when you actually know it'll totally revolutionize your computer (I should've waited for a DirectX11 compliant graphics card, I can feel tesselation and displacement mapping will be the future of gaming... Too bad I didn't do my research earlier.)
(12-17-2010, 08:21 AM)Nolonar Wrote: [ -> ]You know, after Sandy Bridge there'll be something newer and better and if you keep waiting for the newest and best, you'll wait for an eternity.

First it's the Sandy Bridge CPU, then you'll wait for something like a Radeon HD6000 or a GeForce GT600 and once that's out in the market, you'll wait for another Intel architecture and so on.

Believe me, just buy your computer when you need a new one and only wait for something new when you actually know it'll totally revolutionize your computer (I should've waited for a DirectX11 compliant graphics card, I can feel tesselation and displacement mapping will be the future of gaming... Too bad I didn't do my research earlier.)

Doesn't apply in this case because it's being released in a few weeks or 1~2 months max.
It would be stupid to switch to lga 1156 or lga 1366 at this point instead of waiting for something that will cost the same but be 2-3x faster.

And according to cpubencmarks.com, the few samples of i7-2600k that have been obtained, already show it's nearly better than everything else on the market...
And LGA 1155 is just going to be for midrange processors. That's saying something. LGA2011 will be sick.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Pages: 1 2