Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: WDF Format Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

aguenter

Are there any plans to add support for Wiimm's WDF (Wii Disk File) image format?

It saves a *ton* of hard drive space over scrubbed ISOs and seems to a pretty well thought out spec, plus his tools for conversion and management are superb and have very active development.

Thanks!
(11-23-2010, 11:39 AM)aguenter Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any plans to add support for Wiimm's WDF (Wii Disk File) image format?

It saves a *ton* of hard drive space over scrubbed ISOs and seems to a pretty well thought out spec, plus his tools for conversion and management are superb and have very active development.

Thanks!

Well i don't see much compression difference compared to the currently used .gcz format by Dolphin, the compression rate is almost identical. Gcz format doesn't seem to have any issues with dolphin and neither any performance hit. Other things are more important imo, but then again i am no developer.

aguenter

You make a valid point, but how many other pieces of software support GCZ? As far as I know there are none. How do I go about converting my WBFS contained images to GCZ without going through ISO first? It just seems impractical to have to convert an image 3 times before I finally have it in a format that Dolphin can read if it is something fairly trivial to implement.

I have nothing against the GCZ format, but it would be nice if there was support for WDF or at the very least cISO. I could be wrong, but I doubt this would take many man hours to implement as all the formats are basically sparse ISOs with a custom header, right?

I've just stumbled upon this project today by word of mouth and it is amazing! Huge thanks to all the developers involved that have made this possible. I didn't come here to gripe by any means, I just couldn't find any other mention of this on the boards and figured I could at least get a dialog rolling. Smile
work up a code patch and post it on the svn part of the thread. If it works well it will be added.