Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 1 fps in OS X
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I have just built Dolphin from source for OS X and it is working well except that it seems to play in slow motion. It is not even a case of low fps, it really does seem to be about one frame per second. So it seems that I must have some setting wrong. I would be grateful if any other OS X users have a comment on my setup.

Here is my system configuration:
Processor 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB 1066 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, 512 MB
OS X 10.6.4

Dolphin SVN R 6439 with dolphin.ini (edited to the hopefully relevant)

[Core]
GFXPlugin = libPlugin_VideoSoftware.dylib
DSPPlugin = libPlugin_DSP_HLE.dylib
PadPlugin = Plugins/libPlugin_nJoy_SDL.so
HLEBios = True
UseDynarec = False
UseDualCore = False
Throttle = True
CPUCore = 1
CPUThread = True
SkipIdle = True
[Interface]
UsePanicHandlers = True
Theme = 0
[Display]
FullscreenResolution = 640x480
Fullscreen = False
RenderToMain = False
RenderWindowWidth = 640
RenderWindowHeight = 480
ProgressiveScan = False
NTSCJ = False

Use dual cores is ticked on as a preference, but seem to be false in the ini file, so maybe my settings are not being written correctly by the front-end. In any event if OS X users could post a comment or even their ini file for me to try I will try to track down the cause.

Thanks for any help.
The settings were updated quite a few times, and some obsolete stuff remained. UseDualCore is superseded by CPUThread, UseDynarec is superseded by CPUCore for example.

Could you try switching to the OpenGL Video plugin?
Thank you - I will try that. I had read that OpenGL was the only option for OS X so I assumed that that is what I was using. If that is not the case, I will find it and let you know the results.
Thank you Jack Frost - the issue indeed seems to be that I'm not using openGL (which I assumed I was). But in the Dophin.app package I can see there are 4 plugins in the plugins subdirectory: the two DSP ones (HLE and LLE) and two graphics ones (OGL and Software).

However, when I go to preferences / plugins I see both choices for DSP, but only one choice for graphics: software renderer. So for some reason it is not displaying the OGL plugin as a valid choice on this system.

I could try setting the .ini to point to it directly, or maybe this means that I need some system files or openGL drivers updated?

Any further comments would be appreciated.
Try svn updating dolphin to r6444. That has a few bug fixes for the issues you are experiencing. You may also need to install OpenGL drivers (not sure). After you get OpenGL running, disable CPU -> EFB access in the Dolphin graphics options.
Unfortunately the new build gives:

Source/Core/Core/Src/PowerPC/Jit64IL/JitIL.cpp:170: error: PIC register ‘%rbx’ clobbered in ‘asm’
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/folders/BR/BRmIL1PcESiR6NZ6x2klsU+++TI/-Tmp-//ccoshMsQ.out
scons: *** [Build/Darwin-i386-release/Source/Core/Core/Src/PowerPC/Jit64IL/JitIL.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Thanks -
Yes, use r6444 specifically until the issue has been resolved.
Thanks Skid, I have moved back to r6444. I still cannot build, though:

Source/Core/Core/Src/PowerPC/Jit64IL/JitIL.cpp: In member function ‘const u8* JitIL:Big GrinoJit(u32, PPCAnalyst::CodeBuffer*, JitBlock*)’:
Source/Core/Core/Src/PowerPC/Jit64IL/JitIL.cpp:574: error: ‘Block’ is not a member of ‘JitILProfiler’
Source/Core/Core/Src/PowerPC/Jit64IL/JitIL.cpp:574: error: ‘block’ was not declared in this scope
Source/Core/Core/Src/PowerPC/Jit64IL/JitIL.cpp:574: error: ‘Add’ is not a member of ‘JitILProfiler’
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/folders/BR/BRmIL1PcESiR6NZ6x2klsU+++TI/-Tmp-//cc6PMN5e.out
scons: *** [Build/Darwin-i386-release/Source/Core/Core/Src/PowerPC/Jit64IL/JitIL.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Do I need to clean something up from the later version?
Was rather surprised about that suggestion. Try r6441, that one is before the Profiler.
Maybe I'll take a look at it, and see if I can fix it.
Thank you both - updating to r6441 worked.

The openGL plugin now appears as a choice and when selected games run normally.

Thanks again for the pointers.