Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A proposal...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would recommend to the developers to separate the two doplhin emulators (gamecube and wii) ... could be a way to make the emulator more streamlined and agile ...
1. We already had this.

2. Why would they need to separate them ? Wii and GC mostly share the same hardware.
I saw the thread title and thought the OP was asking somebody to marry them! lol!

Seriously though, Anti-Ultimate is totally right, if you compare the specs from both systems you'll see that Nintendo barely improved upon the GC's hardware. I'd say the Wii is MAYBE 5% more powerful than the GC, if that. The Wii is just a Gamecube with motion controls.
If you knew your way around the Dolphin source, you'd knew that the GC/Wii specific portions make up much less than 5% of the whole codebase... So much to "more streamlined and agile" Wink

EDIT: That is, the portions which DIFFER between GC and Wii.. excluding stuff like Wiimotes etc since these are handled in a completely independent piece of code anyway..
Yeah there's really no point in doing separate emulator. A Wii is an overclocked Gamecube with some extra RAM and some other extra stuff.

As NeoBrain says, if you ripped the GC support out, you would be able to delete maybe one or two percent of the code at most Tongue