Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: SSAA and the old 2d games - does it work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm curious about all the old games available to buy on Wii, such as ones like Contra, etc... Does Dolphin's SSAA feature work with those games and if so, how good do the games look?

I have a "thing" for old games, especially old arcade games. MAME is awesome and all, but for graphical improvement, it's... not so good. MAMEplus has supersai/supereagle options to improve image quality, but those filters are ancient and only do so much. I would actually buy a bunch of old games to play on dolphin if SSAA makes them look nice.

?
I don't think SSAA will do anything as the games likely run in 2D mode at their native res. Since the games are run in an emulator on the wii, (being again emulated in Dolphin), I would think they're even harder to enchant than what you can do on an emulator written for PC. So unless the games were specially improved for their virtual console release (which Nintendo stated, they aren't) they won't look any better by any method.
[Image: wut.png]
Lol. Squall hit the nail on the head. SSAA has NOTHING to do with 2D games. It's a technique used for anti-aliasing 3D scenes by increasing the internal resolution. Asking if SSAA will improve 2D games is like asking if parallax occlusion mapping will improve 2D games.
HQ4x is nice for 2D xD
(11-01-2010, 04:55 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Lol. Squall hit the nail on the head. SSAA has NOTHING to do with 2D games. It's a technique used for anti-aliasing 3D scenes by increasing the internal resolution. Asking if SSAA will improve 2D games is like asking if parallax occlusion mapping will improve 2D games.

Yeah, I realize that it's used for AA, but I figured if Dolphin would render the image at 4x or 9x it's size and scale it down (which is my understanding of how super sampling works) it might smooth out the edges of 2d games.
It will only cause a massive amount of blur.

Super sampling is not very useful on sprite or pixel based 2D, the images are too small to get resample accurately.

It'd go from something like
[Image: snap0001c.th.jpg]

To
[Image: snap0002j.th.jpg]