Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Metroid Prime framerate problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

PixieGirl

Hi Sleepy

This is my very first time using the emulator, I am trying to emulate Metroid Prime. The problem is that it is very slow.. at first it seems to be playing at 60fps but once the big ship appears it rapidly drops down until it is at about 14fps. In game it seems like it depends which direction I am looking. For example I can look at an area where there is not much happening and I will get a lovely smooth 60, but looking in the opposite direction where there are more things going on and it will drop way down so that it isnt very playable Undecided

I have searched this a little and found that some people said they can run the game really well on an average computer and other people have troubles even with good pcs?? some say it needs a lot of computer power but others say it doesnt so it is very confusing for a newbie Undecided but I am not sure how good that information is anyway. These are my specs!!

Intel Q8200
GeForce 9800GT
4GB of Ram
Windows 7 x64

Thanks for any help Heart
If you tick the "disable alpha pass" option in the OpenGL plugin you should gain 12-13 fps...

PixieGirl

Thank you for the quick reply! and that gave me a little speed boost. but it is still mostly too slow to play Undecided are there any other tips for making this game faster or is my computer just not good enough?
Use the dx9 video plugin and enable efb copy to texture. It still will not be perfect, though.

PixieGirl

That helped a little too. But it's still too slow Sad
No matter how you configure it to get fullspeed you will either have to:

1. Get a better CPU

2. Massively overclock your cpu (probably about 3.4GHz or higher).

Also you did not mention what revision you are using?

PixieGirl

I am using SVN R 6298M

Hm I suppose I will need a new CPU for this game then Sad

Oh well, my other games play really good including WindWaker & Twilight Princess Big Grin

thanks for the help
r6308 has a fix for games that were running abnormally slower. Get that revision or newer.
the game gets better after you get outa the ship scene, rain, and big rooms. also lava will slow it down alot..