Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: XP64 vs. Win7 64 vs. Linux Distros.. On a low end machine.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Blax

Hi there.

I've been diddling with Dolphin for quite some time, and I've gotta say that I'm really impressed with how far it has come along. Great work, everyone. Smile

I'm curious about which operating system would give me the best performance across the board. As of now, I've been doing everything in XP64. Based on my own experience and the experiences of those I know, XP64 itself is a bit unstable and kinda blows. Dolphin is the only thing I use it for. Performance is great given the circumstances, but I think I could get more with another OS.

Based on my specs, should I stick with XP64? Or should I move over to 7 (which I believe to be a resource hog), or a flavor of Linux (which I have noticed is lightweight)?

Specs:
CPU: Athlon II x4 620 (Freq: 2.6GHz, L2 Cache: 4x512kb)
Mem: 2GB DDR2 800
Video: Radeon x1950 Pro 256MB (PCI Express)

Keep in mind that this isn't a "Will my PC run Dolphin?" thread. It runs. This is an operating system thing.

Thanks. Wink
Windows 7 64-bit would be best. I'm not sure how much of a gain you will get, but I'd have to guess at 5-10% better speed over XP 64-bit.