Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the best CPU for Dolphin?
Being cost reasonable and stuff.
(10-17-2010, 02:02 AM)Ragde Wrote: [ -> ]What is the best CPU for Dolphin?

Probably one with a lot of cache and a high frequency - Also, I'm guessing an Intel is slightly better than an AMD too cause of the architecture.
get i5 750 or i5 760, overclock and you wont need to worry about performance on any emu ever again.
(10-17-2010, 03:37 AM)minty Wrote: [ -> ]get i5 750 or i5 760, overclock and you wont need to worry about performance on any emu ever again.
your cpu is very expensive for performance my phenom 2 x4 965 3.4 stock cost half price and give me same performance as a i5 see benchmark intel is very strongh cpu for big application but the new x6 is more in the race for that type of application but intel still win but for 325 canadien a could get i5 661 for 225 dollard and for exact same price you got a phenom 2 x6 1055 after that board is cheap and if you see many beach amd is very in front

same for me i got phenom 2 x4 965 the intel cpu with same price is in tel core duo e 8400 in the two case i will choose amd is cheap and stronger see benchmark i dont tell amd is the best cpu far of that but price for price they have a lot of good cpu for a tiny price

you should go for Intel® Core™2 Quad
it almost have the same performance of i3, i5,i7
but also cheaper, many online stores sell it for
100 to 250 dollars
(10-17-2010, 02:02 AM)Ragde Wrote: [ -> ]What is the best CPU for Dolphin?

Buy a CPU only for dolphin is ot a good idea... but if u want my opinion, u only need 2 cores CPU for run dolphin (3 in the future for DPLLE plugin).

Now, with intel CPUs u have more perfformance at this moment mecause many builds of this forum are optimized for that hardware (Intel c++ compilations).

I have a Q9550 @ Stock (at this moment, im waiting for my noctua nh d14 ^^) and i can play a lot of games at full speed. Except SMG1 (example: observatory), SMG2 (some parts) , MKWII (With 3-4 players) and Rayman rabing rabbids (intro/coleseum).

Oh and my GPU is Ati RAdeon HD 5850 @ Stock.

Ah good choice for your rig is a Core i5 750 (L3 cache 8mb and a good oc potential Big Grin).

Good luck.
Get an i3 with the biggest cache you can find and overclock it.
Quote:you should go for Intel® Core™2 Quad
it almost have the same performance of i3, i5,i7
but also cheaper, many online stores sell it for
100 to 250 dollars
Quote:your cpu is very expensive for performance my phenom 2 x4 965 3.4 stock cost half price and give me same performance as a i5 see benchmark intel is very strongh cpu for big application but the new x6 is more in the race for that type of application but intel still win but for 325 canadien a could get i5 661 for 225 dollard and for exact same price you got a phenom 2 x6 1055 after that board is cheap and if you see many beach amd is very in front

same for me i got phenom 2 x4 965 the intel cpu with same price is in tel core duo e 8400 in the two case i will choose amd is cheap and stronger see benchmark i dont tell amd is the best cpu far of that but price for price they have a lot of good cpu for a tiny price

Neither of you have taken into account that the increased memory bandwidth of an i5 750/760 can produce up to double the performance per clock in dolphin with efb to ram versus a phenom II/core 2 quad.

i3/i5 would be the best choice for dolphin at the moment.
imo a core i3 is optimal for dolphin, some might argue the 4 cores of the higher series nehalems are useful for having virus scanners, background processes etc..
But 2 cores will probably do just fine in most real world scenarios.

Also it's fairly cheap
(10-17-2010, 05:30 AM)jontcold Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2010, 03:37 AM)minty Wrote: [ -> ]get i5 750 or i5 760, overclock and you wont need to worry about performance on any emu ever again.
your cpu is very expensive for performance my phenom 2 x4 965 3.4 stock cost half price and give me same performance as a i5 see benchmark intel is very strongh cpu for big application but the new x6 is more in the race for that type of application but intel still win but for 325 canadien a could get i5 661 for 225 dollard and for exact same price you got a phenom 2 x6 1055 after that board is cheap and if you see many beach amd is very in front

LOL I own a phenom 2 x4 940 clocked at 3.7ghz so no I dont own a i5 but I sure as hell would build my next build with it. It overclocks much higher then your 965 and it's also faster clock for clock. i5 750 is perfect for emus and it can overclock past the 4ghz mark unlike our Phenom II;s Sad. Im not bashing on AMD I love AMD since im all up for bang for buck ratio but the OP asked for t=a cpu for Dolphin and no one can deny the i5 beats anything AMD has. Oh and dont go for the x6 series, more cores doesnt neccesarily mean better emus/gaming. The i5 760 will be your best investment.