Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New PC for Dolphin - Athlon or Phenom?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.

I want to buy a new PC,

the motherboard is a M4a785t-m, socket AM3.

memory: DDR3, 2 GB, Kingstom.

Regarding the processor, I'm in doubt between them:

Athlon Ii X3 435 2.9ghz Am3

Athlon Ii X4 630 2.8ghz Am3

Phenom Ii X2 550 3.1ghz - 7mb Cache - AM3

What is the best to have optimal performance at the Dolphin?
I can play without lag?

I want to play Paper Mario (Wii and GC), Mario Kart (Wii and GC), Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Zelda (WII and GC), Smash Bros (Wii and GC), and others.

And there is much difference between

Phenom X2 Ii 550 3.1GHz - Cache 7mb - AM3
and
AMD Phenom X2 555 Ii Black 3.2ghz
?

Very Thanks, Rafael
(I do not want to spend much)
Your motherboard is a bit old and you want to use onboard display card for dolphin?
Because 785g is a chipset with onboard display card HD4200. and the lastest onboard chipset until now is 880g.
If you are using a standalone display card you should use lastest AMD 870 or older AMD 770 chipset motherboard instead of 785g.
The CPU provide the best performance at dolphin in your list is Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition.
Black edition is something like you can OC more easily and higher.
Because dolphin cannot support qual core, so you should just compare the clock frequence.
The main differience between Phenom II and Athlon II is Phenom II with a L3 cache and Athlon II without.
L3 cache should also gain a little advantage in performance.
But consider with common usage, I will suggest you choose AMD Athlon II x4 640 3.0ghz.
Your data is a bit old and the lastest Athlon II x4 is 640 with 3.0ghz as default and the price should be the same as 630.
It is a true qual core and is more worth to buy in such a low price.
And Athlon II x4 650 will be release at forth seasons.
(10-13-2010, 12:28 AM)blackJade Wrote: [ -> ]Your motherboard is a bit old and you want to use onboard display card for dolphin?
Because 785g is a chipset with onboard display card HD4200. and the lastest onboard chipset until now is 880g.
If you are using a standalone display card you should use lastest AMD 870 or older AMD 770 chipset motherboard instead of 785g.
The CPU provide the best performance at dolphin in your list is Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition.
Black edition is something like you can OC more easily and higher.
Because dolphin cannot support qual core, so you should just compare the clock frequence.
The main differience between Phenom II and Athlon II is Phenom II with a L3 cache and Athlon II without. It should also gain a little advantage in performance.
But consider with common useage, I will suggest you choose AMD Athlon II x4 640 3.0ghz.
Your data is a bit old and the lastest Athlon II x4 is 640 with 3.0ghz as default and the price should be the same as 630.
It is a true qual core and is more worth to buy in such a low price.

But... The Athlon X4 630 2.8Ghz will perform well in Dolphin?
Regarding the video card, I will buy a better in the future Big Grin
Thanks
I think Athlon II X4 630 can OC in about 3.5ghz without changing the cooler.
Athlon II X4 640 can OC in about 3.7ghz?
You have to consider how high will you OC your CPU...
I think Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros can run at fullspeed in 3.5ghz or higher.
Mario Galaxy 1,2 will hard to get fullspeed but still smooth...
BTW, onboard display card will cause slowdown when you run at high resolution in dolphin....
(10-13-2010, 12:48 AM)blackJade Wrote: [ -> ]I think Athlon II X4 630 can OC in about 3.5ghz without changing the cooler.
Athlon II X4 640 can OC in about 3.7ghz?
You have to consider how high will you OC your CPU...
I think Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros can run at fullspeed in 3.5ghz or higher.
Mario Galaxy 1,2 will hard to get fullspeed but still smooth...
BTW, onboard display card will cause slowdown when you run at high resolution in dolphin....

Hum... I will not make overclock, I will not overclock because I want to keep my new PC some 10 years...
I'm afraid to overclock D:
need not be the best, but if run with no lag, even at 640x480, so good, and with graphics like the video game ... its ok!

But... I think it works a Twilight Princess without overclock, right?

Thanks, I'm sorry so many questions, I do not regret buying...
Another suggestion here.
Intel Core i3-530 2.93ghz + H55 chipset motherboard.
H55 motherboard you can use this one ASUS P7H55-M.
It will cost a little more, but intel can get higher performance at dolphin compare with AMD.
Also, i3 support SSE4.2, you can take advantage in optimize build.
I am using 620 with 3.25ghz overclock.
I can only say 3.0-3.2ghz in AMD CPU can get acceptable speed in most game.
So, it is very up to you....
If you want faster in dolphin, i3 is a good choice but slow in common usage compare with AMD 640. (onboard display worse than 785g (HD4200))
If you want AMD, both 555 and 640 is very similar in performance, may be 1-2fps differience.
But consider with common usage, 640 will be better than 555.
(10-13-2010, 01:21 AM)blackJade Wrote: [ -> ]Another suggestion here.
Intel Core i3-530 2.93ghz + H55 chipset motherboard.
H55 motherboard you can use this one ASUS P7H55-M.
It will cost a little more, but intel can get higher performance at dolphin compare with AMD.
Also, i3 support SSE4.2, you can take advantage in optimize build.
I am using 620 with 3.25ghz overclock.
I can only say 3.0-3.2ghz in AMD CPU can get acceptable speed in most game.
So, it is very up to you....
If you want faster in dolphin, i3 is a good choice but slow in common usage compare with AMD 640. (onboard display worse than 785g (HD4200))
If you want AMD, both 555 and 640 is very similar in performance, may be 1-2fps differience.
But consider with common usage, 640 will be better than 555.

On the site I use, I have not found a separate X4 640 to sell, but I found an X4 635.

I found a kit X4 640 + ECS Motherboard A785GM Black + 2GB DDR3 Kingstom.

It is good to emulate?

Thanks Smile
Sorry to post in this thread old, but ...

I will buy the same 635 Athlon X4, 2.9GHz with (and will not do
overclocking)

Then pay off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNzvzbn9PE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TmpEfvr6uc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqeYd4NTgDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTY9hB5WsIE

I think it will run:

Smash Bros Brawl
Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Galaxy
Zelda Twilight
Zelda WW
Mario Sunshine

At full speed, even if it is at 640x480, right?

Sorry for bad English and asking so many questions, I do not want to regret the purchase DDDD: