Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: resolution vs performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

womensGymnasticsIsGoooood

hi,
i'd like to run a dolphin emulator at full speed. but ill only be using at a low resolution (640/480) because i plan to use my widescreen crt as the display, via a pctv adapter. i just wanted to ask what kind of performance implications this might have. in other words can i get away with a much slower pc?

i will try my current comp tomorrow but it has onboard graphics and a pentium d so i guess i will prob have to replace them. if i do have to replace the motherboard/cpu/graphics card can anyone suggest a good budget combo?

big thanks
I suggest that build a new computer
here are some information in this
on building a computer for dolphin

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-309...n+Computer
Since Dolphin is cpu intensive, there is almost no performance gain in lowering the resolution. Even at 640x480 you will need a very good cpu to play most games at full speed. Check out the link the previous poster gave.

Conmiro95

I found that lowering the resolution gains quite a few FPS.
Quote:Since Dolphin is cpu intensive, there is almost no performance gain in lowering the resolution. Even at 640x480 you will need a very good cpu to play most games at full speed. Check out the link the previous poster gave.

If you don't have a good discrete graphics card you NEED to lower your resolution to attain decent performance. It's not rocket science, crappy igps can't render images fast enough at such high resolutions, the pixel throughput is simply to low. However if you have a decent video card then you are right, you would not gain any performance by lowering your resolution since pixel throughput would no longer be the bottleneck.

womensGymnasticsIsGoooood

thanks guys!
i will test the resolution with my current set up but i think it's clear what's going to happen Big Grin
i'll get the best cpu i can afford and possibly save on the graphics card then, because of my resolution requirements. wahooooooooo cant wait to test it!