Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Linux Installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mindfilled75

Hopefully, I won't be an object of derision for asking this.

I recently switched from XP Pro x64 to Ubuntu 10.10. I really enjoyed using the Dolphin emulator on XP, but am unfamiliar with Linux. I downloaded the "dolphin-2.0amd64 tar.bz2", but do not understand what to do next. Could someone give me a hand?

When I first discovered Dolphin, I asked a question in one of the forums...and was treated quite rudely. Yes, I know that I'm probably asking a silly question. However, I ask that no one responds to this request by treating me like an idiot. If you do not wish to help me, then move on to the next post.

Ubuntu Linux 10.10 x64
Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
AMD Athlon X-2 6000+
4GB of RAM

Mindfilled75

OK, twenty people have looked at this and nobody will offer any help. If there is no one here that is familiar with Linux, could someone please point me in the right direction? I don't need step-by-step instructions...just the first step will suffice.
Hi dude, welcome to the forums Wink

fwiw, 20 people aren't really much... most just look at the thread and close it because they have no idea or are busy or just too lazy too answer.

You need to unpack that tar.bz2 archive and try to run the dolphin (or dolphin-emu) executable. If the executable fails to run silently, try to run it from a terminal. There you should get a more concrete error message, most likely you're missing some dependencies, which you need to install manually then.

Mindfilled75

Thanks for the help.

Alright, I tried to run the dolphin-emu executable, but receive the error message "could not find the autorun program".

I then went to the Ubuntu Software Center and searched for "autorun". I installed the three available options, but receive the same error.

It would be nice to have an autorun program, but I'll dig around for it later. Right now, I'm curious about what to type into Terminal to make it work. I would like to make a permanent switch to Linux, so I want to learn the basics.
Yeah, learning how Linux works can be quite challenging in the beginning.

Not sure what that autorun stuff is supposed to be, but anyway: You first need to change the current working directory to the path where you extracted that tar.bz2 file to. You can do that using the "cd" command (so you type in "cd <folder>" without quotation marks and brackets). Then, running Dolphin is as simple as calling ./dolphin or ./dolphin-emu.

ADTJ

I'm running a very similar system, and have encountered a similar problem. As far as I'm aware, there have always been issues with running dolphin in Ubuntu.

After executing from the terminal, I am told libao.so.2 was not found.
I seem to remember going on a goose chase with this on my previous computer, each time i got one shared library, it told me I needed another.

Any clues as to what package libao.so.2 is from, so that we may look for an entire package?

Thanks in advance

ADTJ
Try this one:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?arch=i...libao.so.2

Note that there's no way for Dolphin to tell which package you need to install though... if you try to run an executable without having the necessary shared libs, you will only get an error message about the missing libs.
fwiw, we should maybe think about dynamically loading such stuff and/or bundling the shared libraries with Dolphin...

ADTJ

Ok, Mindfilled75, I have found us an answer.

Thank you neobrain for your link but unfortunately as i feared, it wanted more dependencies, which I gathered (converting .rpms to .debs along the way), and then something i didn't work. I can't really remember any more. And I was annoyed. but then i found a solution. Big Grin

There is a version of Dolphin available for Ubuntu Big Grin

so Mindfilled75, try this and hope for the best.

Whack open a terminal, and add this to your repository by:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glennric/dolphin-emu

make sure your system is up to date: sudo apt-get update

and then: sudo apt-get install dolphin-emu

This should install dolphin and all its dependencies etc.
you'll find it in applications - > Games

For some reason GC games won't work with mine, but i'm sure if i mess around i bit I'll get them going. Thanks guys and best of luck, mindfilled
Here is a very very easy way to install dolphin on ubuntu. http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wik...pendencies

Just follow the instructions and all should be well. It will install a folder named dolphin-emu-read-only in your home folder. The executable will be in /Binary/Linuxsomething