Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to change Title and Notes in Dolphin interface
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

troa11

After much digging, research and experimentation, I have finally come across a way to edit the Title and Notes fields for games listed in Dolphin. It's not terribly intuitive and requires some effort, but for those of you like me who can't stand to see "resident evil 4 wii edition" next to "SUPER SMASH BROS. melee" or want Twilight Princess under "Legend of Zelda" instead of "The Legend of Zelda" it's worth it. The process varies depending on the system the game is for:

Gamecube:
Dolphin takes this info from the disc itself. A tool called Gamecube Rebuilder will allow you to open an uncompressed Gamecube image and edit this information easily. Oddly Dolphin uses the "long name" for the Title field and the "Short Maker" for the Notes field. Simply open your ISO or GCM, change the appropriate information and click Save.

Wii/WiiWare:
This is slightly trickier. You need a hex editor (I recommend XVI32). You need to have run the game and created save data for the game, as Dolphin uses the banner.bin in the save data folder for this information. Right click on the game and choose "Open Wii Save folder". Right click on the banner.bin file and choose Open With... and select XVI32. (There are other ways to open the file in the hex editor of course but I think this is the easiest). You will see in the right column right at the beginning the letters that make up the Title and Notes with spaces between. The Title begins at Addr Dec. 33 and the Notes field begins at Addr Dec. 97. Edit these as you see fit but be sure to leave the spaces untouched. They are not space characters but null characters. On the left you will see that each character is separated by 00, be sure it stays that way. Once the changes are made save the file. Caution: Some games re-write the banner.bin file when you save the game. Setting the file to read only after you change it may help.

For the changes to show up in Dolphin be sure to go to View -> Purge Cache.
(09-23-2010, 11:20 PM)troa11 Wrote: [ -> ]After much digging, research and experimentation, I have finally come across a way to edit the Title and Notes fields for games listed in Dolphin.  It's not terribly intuitive and requires some effort, but for those of you like me who can't stand to see "resident evil 4 wii edition" next to "SUPER SMASH BROS. melee" or want Twilight Princess under "Legend of Zelda" instead of "The Legend of Zelda" it's worth it.  The process varies depending on the system the game is for:

Gamecube:
Dolphin takes this info from the disc itself.  A tool called Gamecube Rebuilder will allow you to open an uncompressed Gamecube image and edit this information easily.  Oddly Dolphin uses the "long name" for the Title field and the "Short Maker" for the Notes field.  Simply open your ISO or GCM, change the appropriate information and click Save.

Wii/WiiWare:
This is slightly trickier.  You need a hex editor (I recommend XVI32).  You need to have run the game and created save data for the game, as Dolphin uses the banner.bin in the save data folder for this information.  Right click on the game and choose "Open Wii Save folder".  Right click on the banner.bin file and choose Open With... and select XVI32. (There are other ways to open the file in the hex editor of course but I think this is the easiest).  You will see in the right column right at the beginning the letters that make up the Title and Notes with spaces between.  The Title begins at Addr Dec. 33 and the Notes field begins at Addr Dec. 97.  Edit these as you see fit but be sure to leave the spaces untouched.  They are not space characters but null characters.  On the left you will see that each character is separated by 00, be sure it stays that way.  Once the changes are made save the file.  Caution:  Some games re-write the banner.bin file when you save the game.  Setting the file to read only after you change it may help.

For the changes to show up in Dolphin be sure to go to View -> Purge Cache.

I tried this for a few games and it worked, EXCEPT Smash Bros Melee. It shows my changes in the app, but within Dolphin it still displays it in all capitals and still says "melee" in the notes, even though NONE of that is anywhere in the app... WTF?
Old thread is old. If you want help changing this kind of stuff, it's better to make a new topic.