Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Whats the difference between 2.0 and the revisions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know which 'revision' I have since I d/l'd Dolphin a while ago. When I go into the emulator and select 'about' it only says 'Dolphin 2.0'.
dolphin 2.0 is the second official release of the dolphin emulator
and revision are like betas that include new patches and plugins
Dolphin 2.0 is Dolphin as of April 12th, while the latest revs contains the development up till today
WOW I got the latest revision and Super Mario Sunshine runs ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. Unlike the 2.0 version.
Because 2.0 is already obsolete. the newer revisions are updated. Also, 2.0 aimed stability, because it was an official release, so the revisions are often more accurate and/or faster.
Quote:because it was an official release, so the revisions are often more accurate and/or faster.

I wouldn't say that. Just think of it like a beta. It may make things better or worse because the changes haven't been tested yet. Recent revisions are generally MUCH slower than older revisions, this is practically fact. As for accuracy, it depends on the games. Accuracy is better with newer revisions in most games but not all. Some games may only be playable on newer revisions due to fixes and some games may only be playable on older revisions due to things that have been broken. If you check the game thread you will find quite a few games that are only playable with older revisions (although for the majority of games it's the reverse). Naturally assuming newer revisions are better is a bad idea, they should be used for testing changes to the code so that we can decide whether or not to revert those changes. If all commits were automatically beneficial without breaking anything or causing slowdowns then we would have a lot more official releases.