Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What GFX card für 1080p TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.

I'm actually using a Gainward Geforce 8600GTS 1024MB card for running dolphin. As I can see some speed difference playing MKWii between the resolution of 640x480 and 1440x900, it seems that this card is the first bottleneck of my system.

I will build up my Samsung LE40C750 TV next weeks. I've tested playing MKWii with dolphin connected to this TV at resolution of 1920x1080 and got a huge speedloss at this resolution.

I don't want to buy the best card ever. I just want to buy a card that will not be the bottleneck at this resolution.

Would be nice to get some suggestions out of the actual or upcoming gfx card pool. I'm no NVIDIA fanboy. Would buy ATI, if this would be the best for my usage.

As this TV supports stereoscopic output (with shutterglasses), what gfx card would be best, when I want to run in stereoscopic mode (by using this 3D vision patch and the hopefully soon relase of 3DTV play software)?
(09-07-2010, 08:35 PM)KarstenS Wrote: [ -> ]Hello.

I'm actually using a Gainward Geforce 8600GTS 1024MB card for running dolphin. As I can see some speed difference playing MKWii between the resolution of 640x480 and 1440x900, it seems that this card is the first bottleneck of my system.

I will build up my Samsung LE40C750 TV next weeks. I've tested playing MKWii with dolphin connected to this TV at resolution of 1920x1080 and got a huge speedloss at this resolution.

I don't want to buy the best card ever. I just want to buy a card that will not be the bottleneck at this resolution.

Would be nice to get some suggestions out of the actual or upcoming gfx card pool. I'm no NVIDIA fanboy. Would buy ATI, if this would be the best for my usage.

As this TV supports stereoscopic output (with shutterglasses), what gfx card would be best, when I want to run in stereoscopic mode (by using this 3D vision patch and the hopefully soon relase of 3DTV play software)?

I'm using a highly overclocked 5870 + an i7 @ 4.4ghz w/ ht on. I game with all my Dolphin games at 1080p with at least 4x SSAA and 16x AF.

If you don't care about the extra enhancements and just care about the resolution. Then I think a Phenom at 3.6 ghz + and a 5770 should be fine for any game.

However, if you want 3D (which takes twice the horsepower to render), then I would recommend no less than an i7 and a 480 gtx (maybe 470 gtx). Either way 3d is really sketchy atm to go for it....
Thanks. I'll test one.
Question: Would a 5830 be much better for dolphin than the 5770, as it has a 256bit memory bus (the 5770 has a 128bit bus)?

Impossible to say. Without someone with both cards to test it we don't have the data needed to determine that.
With benchmarks, the 5830 is ahead.
Quote:With benchmarks, the 5830 is ahead.

We're talking about dolphin here, not pc games. The question is whether or not the increased vdram bandwidth makes a noticeable difference with dolphin.
(09-16-2010, 11:37 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]The question is whether or not the increased vdram bandwidth makes a noticeable difference with dolphin.

Exactly that is the question.

I've read sometimes, that Dolphin has still a unsolved problem that cost speed: it copies the content many times around the world: ->VRAM->RAM->VRAM->RAM->VRAM->RAM->VRAM->RAM...

Thats why I ask.
for vram->ram->vram->ram copy stuff all you need is only a good motherboard with 16x PCI-E 2.0.
vram speed bandwith has nothing to do with this issue.

i use an HD5770 and my friend (same CPU) uses an HD4890

well... my 5770 is from xfx with 1300Mhz ram clockspeed so it has about 30% more bandwith compared to the halfed interface of 128bit instead of 256 bit... but there is no difference in speed that is caused by gfx-card in 1920x1200 on both computers.
both are the same.
and afaik you can use 3d-shutterglasses with ati too.
http://www.bitcauldron.com/products/3dgl...c5000.html for example.
Thanks. Than it will be a HD5770.
Pages: 1 2