Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is the 64 bit download necassarily better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ghio10

Im wondering because i have a 64 bit system and am not too sure if getting the 64 bit or 32 bit version will make much of a differance performance wise.
64 bit builds are significantly faster. The only con is that 64 bit builds use a little bit more memory which for 99% of people should not be a problem.

ghio10

(09-07-2010, 07:06 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]64 bit builds are significantly faster. The only con is that 64 bit builds use a little bit more memory which for 99% of people should not be a problem.

see i would assume that, but when i try the 32 bit and 64 bit basically side by side with the same settings (not at the same time though) playing twilight princess i notice that the frame rates are exactly the same except sometimes the 32 bit one gets an additional 3 fps sometimes (depending on the place) any reason for that?
That is weird. Although it is true that some games get very little performance improvement from 64 bit builds (like everything in dolphin it depends on the game) their is always some improvement, and it is usually significant with most games. If a 32 bit build is running faster I can only think of 3 causes

1. It's a different revision (are you running an unmodified version of the same revision for both?)
2. The GPU is the bottleneck in that particular game with your setup
3. You are low on ram

Without more info (especially your system specs) I can't tell whether any of those are affecting you.
If the speed is the same, it could be either:

1. Your PC's video card is the bottleneck
2. You have vsync, the framelimiter or audio throttling on
3. You are playing a game that uses the MMU

ghio10

(09-07-2010, 01:43 PM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]If the speed is the same, it could be either:

1. Your PC's video card is the bottleneck
2. You have vsync, the framelimiter or audio throttling on
3. You are playing a game that uses the MMU

My specs: win 7 64 bit, amd anthln 2 XII 2.71 Ghz processer, 6 gb ram. nvidia gt 240 gpu 512 mb with ddr5 memory. any other specs you want?
Its the same downloads from the download section (yes both un modified, but some settings changed to give more fps on both) i dont have the frame limiter on because when i go into differant ares theres a huge change in fps (usually aroun 22-25 or so in kinda good places)
i have plenty of ram left, that im sure. ive also tried it with and without vsync, no noticable differance. thank you for your help