Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intel Pentium D 3Ghz not good enought?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

P E T E

Hey Guys,

I've been running the latest version of Dolphin on my pc and I can't seem to get better than 50fps in Super Mario Bro's. When I'm on the map of the different worlds I'm getting a terribly slow 30fps.

After reading through a few threads it seems that the specs should be fine.

The specs of my pc are:
Intel Pentium D 3ghz (Dual Core 3Ghz)
4Gb of Ram
Windows 7 x86
Ati 5570 Graphics Card

I've changed the settings all over the place but I can't seem to get a constant frame rate in game, and the world view I can't get over 30fps. Any idea's if its possible to improve my experiance at all?
Pentium processors are horrible even at high frequencies (with the exception of the 45nm e5xxx series)
With the info you've given, it's likely to be the cause of bottleneck if you already tried everything else.

If your mobo allows it, you could buy a core 2 duo at ~70-100 bucks, or go for an entirely new amd mobo+phenom II cpu at ~$100.
(09-02-2010, 07:06 PM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Pentium processors are horrible even at high frequencies (with the exception of the 45nm e5xxx series)
With the info you've given, it's likely to be the cause of bottleneck if you already tried everything else.

If your mobo allows it, you could buy a core 2 duo at ~70-100 bucks, or go for an entirely new amd mobo+phenom II cpu at ~$100.

His GPU is also very weak which could/will add to his problem.... anything lower than the 57xx is series is sketchy because performance drops off so dramatically once you reach the 56xx and below. Even a 9800gt will blow them up.
I found that NSMB worked really well on my system which doesnt seem to be too much better than yours.

What settings did you find to be the best? What version of Dolphin are you using?
Pentium D = Fail.

That's your problem. GPU could also have something to do with it.
(09-02-2010, 11:31 PM)jumb Wrote: [ -> ]I found that NSMB worked really well on my system which doesnt seem to be too much better than yours.

As you probably knew, there is a world of difference between your E8400 @3ghz and pentium D even at 5.0ghz

Actually, the difference between core 2 duo e6600 (2.4ghz) and pentium d (2.6ghz) is over 50-200% in most real world apps despite both being dual cores
(pentium d being based on NetBurst, e6600 on Core)
http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?opt...mitstart=2

as always, operating frequency in ghz alone doesn't mean efficiency, even in dolphin which is cpu-intensive. What a cpu achieves in a clock cycle does
(09-02-2010, 10:03 PM)Bigsteve3570 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2010, 07:06 PM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Pentium processors are horrible even at high frequencies (with the exception of the 45nm e5xxx series)

His GPU is also very weak which could/will add to his problem.... anything lower than the 57xx is series is sketchy because performance drops off so dramatically once you reach the 56xx and below. Even a 9800gt will blow them up.

I dont think its his GPU. My 4570 can run NSMB Wii in 1080P at a mostly solid 60FPS. Its most likely the CPU, or his settings.

P E T E

Ok guys...from the replies I think its safe to assume is the CPU being the bottleneck here. I'll see if I can scavange a good Intel Core 2 Duo. I'm pretty sure the motherboard can support the processor.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Regarding the settings, I've tried everything in the book to get it to run better. Some settings do make it work better than others however I still can't get it to a state where i'm happy with it.
I think even a low end i3 should do better than a core2duo, unless your budget is too tight.
(09-03-2010, 06:00 PM)kernel64 Wrote: [ -> ]I think even a low end i3 should do better than a core2duo, unless your budget is too tight.
i3 and C2D dont have alot different with them. the're still both duel cores
Pages: 1 2