Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GameCube Game Resolution and AR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As far as i know gamecube games run at a maximum of 480p or 576i 4/3, correct?

a)Is there anything to gain by setting higher resolution like 720p/1080p or the Monitors native Resolution (Mine does 2560x1600)?

b)Also i know there is a widescreen hack setting to enable, but arent thee games suppose to run in 4/3? I mean wont they get distorted backgrounds if you set widescreen resolutions?

Bottom line, what is my best bet here, in terms of resolutions and aspect ratio?
a) yes. Setting higher resolutions makes the games run at that resolution as well, i.e. the geometry will be sharper and more detailed.

b) the widescreen hack is meant to "solve" just that: it forces the games to run at 16:9... some games break because of that though.
If the backgrounds are pre-rendered how is it possible to be re-created at higher resolutions with different ratio and still be correct?

For example in RE-0, while the character does in fact seem more detailed, on 2560x1600 the backgrounds and scenery seems stretched and distorted...
Like NeoBrain said, not all games will work properly with the widescreen hack.
Has anyone compiled a list with true ws games? Meaning that the scenery is dynamic and can be recreated without distortion.

Cause forcing ws on pre-rendered 4/3 backgrounds, is like stretching a 4/3 movie to appear as fullscreen on a ws Monitor. Which means distortion.
I think no gamecube games have widescreen support, just wii games... btw the widescreen hack doesn't stretch anything, but some games will have missing geometry at the edges.
(09-01-2010, 03:09 AM)therock003 Wrote: [ -> ]If the backgrounds are pre-rendered how is it possible to be re-created at higher resolutions with different ratio and still be correct?

For example in RE-0, while the character does in fact seem more detailed, on 2560x1600 the backgrounds and scenery seems stretched and distorted...

Those pre-rendered backgrounds are simply drawn as "huge" squares/quads which cover the whole screen. The actual background is applied as a texture to the quad. Dolphin will render at a higher resolution if you tell it to do so, but of course the actual texture resolution won't increase, which is why stuff seems pixelated.