Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Specs / Recommended Upgrades
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

theidiotthatisme

Hey guys, I was looking for a way to play good old Sonic Adventure 2 again, since I got rid of my TV to help condense due to lack of room (college). So I fired up a Dreamcast emulator, but there is some weird control issue with Sonic constantly going to the left, so I downloaded and tried Dolphin.

First, I just want to say I'm very impressed, it picks up my 360 controller perfectly as Gamepad and is very easy to setup. I fired up SA2B, and through all the intro menus it runs at 100 percent with 50FPS. But when I actually start playing the game, it drops considerably down to around 30 or so.

My specifications of the computer are AMD64x2 at 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI HD3450, on Win7 (32bit). I was just wondering if the computer was simply unable to handle Gamecube Emulation, and if so, what would be applicable upgrades to achieve good performance? Thanks!
Laptop or Desktop Computer?
I think it's not a laptop, look at his video card Wink.
To get full speed out of Dolphin, atleast have a dual core clocked at 2.8 GHz or higher and if you still having problems getting full speed, try overclocking the cpu and gpu a lil bit.
i thought it was a laptop due to the fact that his computer only 2gb of ram
but i suggest that "theidiotthatisme" could upgrade his ram and get a better video card
but also oc his cpu too.

theidiotthatisme

(08-30-2010, 07:42 AM)knglrk Wrote: [ -> ]i thought it was a laptop due to the fact that his computer only 2gb of ram
but i suggest that "theidiotthatisme" could upgrade his ram and get a better video card
but also oc his cpu too.

It's a Desktop :-) The only reason I never upgraded past 2GB is I've never used more than that. Should I upgrade to a higher clocked x2 or should I go with a x4 with a similar clock speed to what I have now?

theidiotthatisme

I was slightly off about my current processor, it's a AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ clocked at 2.6Ghz

Since my card was originally designed as an HTPC card, it's really not much for gaming at all. Could that be the main inhibitor? I'm currently looking at upping from my current HD3450 to a HD4650.