Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why games that worked with 2.0 doesnt work with new revisions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi I am new here and this is my first post. My question is in the title of this thread. I would post my specs but I am not asking about a game or why it doesn't run. It is a emulator question. Some of the games with 2.0 ran perfectly as per compatabilty list and good performance. Just seems to me that that if it not broken why change it?
Eh, it's not like some dev intentionally changes the code to break a certain game Tongue
Recently quite a bit work has been done on an area called FIFO emulation, which fixed many games but apparently also broke some others. In the future these games will hopefully be fixed again ofc, but that's just how development is done Wink
(08-27-2010, 05:22 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]Eh, it's not like some dev intentionally changes the code to break a certain game Tongue
Recently quite a bit work has been done on an area called FIFO emulation, which fixed many games but apparently also broke some others. In the future these games will hopefully be fixed again ofc, but that's just how development is done Wink

It just to my knowledege if it not broke why fix it. It would seem if it would continue a If Then statement would suffice to the next list of games that ran(or had good compatabilty) through each revision and check to see what they had in common.
Quote:if it not broke why fix it.

They don't fix things that "aren't broke". They fix problems and sometimes those fixes that may resolve a problem may also create a new one, this is the normal process of development for open-source software.
You have to list the games and your specs if you want help to get your games to work. Some just need different settings.

As the emulator is being developed it becomes more accurate to the actual hardware. This may create problems a long the way.

The important thing is to not whinge but instead provide useful feedback to help development.
(08-27-2010, 07:46 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:if it not broke why fix it.

They don't fix things that "aren't broke". They fix problems and sometimes those fixes that may resolve a problem may also create a new one, this is the normal process of development for open-source software.

It's just that I thought if they tried this method (using a If Then statement ) there might not be so many revisions to the source code if something goes wrong, while keeping other thing in tact.this way, if it works it gets committed to the source code.
exactly, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Why did you update then? The old version seemed to work fine for you.
(08-28-2010, 03:27 PM)boogerlad Wrote: [ -> ]exactly, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Why did you update then? The old version seemed to work fine for you.

I updated because hoping to run more game but compatabity with some were lost, so it was the method (way), that was used to update. If you look at the source code you would notice that things got broken with recent rervisions and had to revert back to a old svn with a new number. Not to say there was lots of improvements were made but time was wasted as other developers adding to source got wrong results which is one of the reasons that compatabilty is lost. like I said in another posts at least 80% of games were working at one time or another.From my point of view (Not to say if someone who knows coding and was at the beginng has an emulator working almost perfectly with the games which ran perfectly, where as size doesn't matter. But it won't be released because it,s not in the best intrest for other developers working on the project. Revenue associated with the emulator is also considered a factor wimotes, sensors bars, nunchucks, websites, disks and computer hardware and intrest. And probally couple of lawsuits at this time if it was released. But in order to release it they could say that they generated enough revenue for Nintendo (which is lagging in sales of Wii) and a renewed intest in gamecube (compared ot PS2 and XBox), and software developers, and manufactuers. Example the consoles goes for about $200 and a new graphics card and power supply for a litte more.) As far as the developer sides goes I think that they are just trying to piece it al togather. So we have to be patient as they try to give us more games, but just not all at the same time I guess.
Use many revisions, best solution.

Quote:revenue associated with the emulator is also considered a factor

No, developers get paid $0. You are seeing google ads which pay for the server costs of hosting dolphin's site and forums.
(08-31-2010, 05:42 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Use many revisions, best solution.

Quote:revenue associated with the emulator is also considered a factor

No, developers get paid $0. You are seeing google ads which pay for the server costs of hosting dolphin's site and forums.

Didn't mean the emulator was making money or developers it was just the association of things because of the emulator.
Pages: 1 2