Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: what is the difference between FPS, VPS, and percentage.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

chutz748

HI, I have read some of the threads about choosing a system to run dolphin 2.0, but I am still confused.

What accounts the most for getting higher FPS, is it CPU? VPU? or ram?

And what is the difference between FPS and VPS?

If anyone has some suggestions on what the minimum system specs would be required for getting 100% on any game?

I know this may seam like a silly newb question, and I appoligize. I am just not sure what components are the most important, and what contributes to frame rate.

Thanks in advance
100% ona any game, I don't really know if that's possible yet, not even with a Intel i7 980.
Quote:If anyone has some suggestions on what the minimum system specs would be required for getting 100% on any game?

Impossible to say since every game runs very different. Some games are impossible to run at fullspeed regardless of system specs (not many though).

Quote:I am just not sure what components are the most important, and what contributes to frame rate.

As long as you have at least 2GB of ram the only system components you need to be concerned with are cpu and video card. CPU affects performance globally while gpu affects how high you set your settings for the graphics plugins without losing performance. This is also dependent on what game your playing since some games need a powerful gpu and some don't. However most games need a powerful cpu so typically when this question is asked cpu is considered the most important component for framerate, that doesn't mean that the gpu isn't also important though.

Quote:What accounts the most for getting higher FPS, is it CPU? VPU? or ram?

CPU and GPU.

Quote:And what is the difference between FPS and VPS?

Think of of it like this:

FPS=speed of gpu (how many frames it is drawing per second)

VPS=speed of cpu (max number of frames per second the gpu can draw based on how fast the cpu is running)

Percentage=speed that the game is running at, 100% being fullspeed or the speed that it runs at on the native hardware (the console that's being emulated). The greater the difference is between fps and vps the slower the game will run (in terms of gamespeed, not framerate).
(08-21-2010, 08:54 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]100% ona any game, I don't really know if that's possible yet, not even with a Intel i7 980.

Funny, I'm yet to encounter a game im not getting at least 100%

-4.2ghz i7 920 (actually a xeon 3520 though)

get 150% even in hyrule field Big Grin

edit:

went from a q9300 @ 3.2 with an ati 4850
to q9300 @3.2 with a gtx275 - this upgrade really only let me increase the amount of aa
to i7 920 with gtx 275 - this cpu upgrade massively increased my framerate

ie. mario galaxy 2
q9300 - 55 fps on the mario faceship
i7 - 95 fps on the mario faceship

That said, I'd say roughly a 3.2ghz core 2 duo/quad + 9600gt is about the requirement to 100% everything while being able to increase the resolution
You will not get 150% speed in Hyrule Field when you've unlocked the zora domain :p.
I mean, when Hyrule Field is getting bigger and bigger, Dolphin needs to do more work and asks more from your CPU so it will get slower. I get a max of 22 FPS and I finished the game. (GC version)

chutz748

thanks all for your replies. Let me see if I can get this strait. CPU is the most important spec, so if I had a Core 2 duo, 2.8ghz, with a GTX270 GPU, the GPU would be slowed by the slower CPU, so having a high-end graphics card is stupid unless you have a good CPU to run it.

OK this makes more sense now. so if I get around 22 to 24 FPS with my current system, which is running at about 70 - 80%, this is the best I could hope for unless I upgrade my CPU? Also the percantage then is based on what has to be rendered. There is more to render I guess in hyrule field, than in lake hilia for example, that might explain why my FPS, and percent drop, when just entering hyrule field, and increase for a few seconds when entering another area.

Incidentally, my VPS is always 2x whatever my FPS is, I'm not sure if that is just my system, or if that is the emulator in general.
(08-21-2010, 10:33 PM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]You will not get 150% speed in Hyrule Field when you've unlocked the zora domain :p.

I'm up to the ice place now, not too much more to unlock is there? I was exaggerating a little, but I get ~41/42 fps.

(08-22-2010, 12:35 AM)chutz748 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks all for your replies. Let me see if I can get this strait. CPU is the most important spec, so if I had a Core 2 duo, 2.8ghz, with a GTX270 GPU, the GPU would be slowed by the slower CPU, so having a high-end graphics card is stupid unless you have a good CPU to run it.

OK this makes more sense now. so if I get around 22 to 24 FPS with my current system, which is running at about 70 - 80%, this is the best I could hope for unless I upgrade my CPU? Also the percantage then is based on what has to be rendered. There is more to render I guess in hyrule field, than in lake hilia for example, that might explain why my FPS, and percent drop, when just entering hyrule field, and increase for a few seconds when entering another area.

Incidentally, my VPS is always 2x whatever my FPS is, I'm not sure if that is just my system, or if that is the emulator in general.

This is normal, if you're getting 22-24 fps in hyrule field all other games should be full speed. Hyrule field is a special case. There is no need to upgrade just for hyrule field.

Also VPS should in general be double or the same as FPS, someone else can explain why.
Quote:Incidentally, my VPS is always 2x whatever my FPS is, I'm not sure if that is just my system, or if that is the emulator in general.

It should be double since the native speed of TP is 30 fps. In other words in a game like TP your fps should be 30 and your vps should be 60. In a game that runs at 60 fps in native hardware like metroid prime both should be 60.

Quote:Funny, I'm yet to encounter a game im not getting at least 100%

Yes but you haven't tried every area in every game. Their are some games that can't run at fullspeed on any setup, not a lot but their are some.
(08-22-2010, 03:53 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but you haven't tried every area in every game. Their are some games that can't run at fullspeed on any setup, not a lot but their are some.

1080 Avalanche
(08-22-2010, 03:53 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:[quote]Funny, I'm yet to encounter a game im not getting at least 100%

Yes but you haven't tried every area in every game. Their are some games that can't run at fullspeed on any setup, not a lot but their are some.

This goes in no way to answer the OP's question. Giving an indication of what level of computer that he'd need for 100% on 'most' games is much better than just saying 'doesn't matter what you have because you won't be able to run 1080 avalanche'.

Obviously not all games are going to work due to the current stage of the emulator, my statement stands; all games that I've encountered have been playable.

Grow up, stop trying to attack my argument and try helping out...
Pages: 1 2 3