Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: trying to clean heatsink...very frustrating....gerf
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yea im trying to find my heatsink...ive taken out all the screws i can find...but the back cover wont come off...everythings kinda attatched to it...but why would HP make a laptop impossible to clean the heatsink????? confusing lol

well if anyone has any kinda tutorials i can use for a really really hard to get to heatsink to clean it would be nice to see it!! Tongue thanx
Easiest way is to carefully place the Laptop in the washer. Use extra rinse if it has it. However you MUST use a low temperature to prevent the colours from running. I forgot that step and now my laptop has a black and white screen Sad After that simply hang it out to dry or put it in the dryer.

OR alternatively try this guide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knhh_RYex...re=related
@Skirrow

That's so dangerous I can't believe you attempted that. Your lucky it even works, you must have waited a long time to make sure it was completely dry.
Depending on your laptop HP may or may not have a service manual up for it, which details step by step how to build the laptop from scratch, or take it apart to scratch.
Simply put in your laptop and service manual into google, I've got a HP dv7, so I'd put in:

HP Service Manual dv7.

If you have a dv7 I can easily upload the service manual I have for it.

@Skirrow
Holy crap, I'd never do that, there's way too many things wrong with that. One thing you should never really use to clean laptops is water, Air canisters or sooo much of a better option.
The Joys of taking apart a laptop.
Most are built to be sturdy, reliable, non-user serviceable and hence hard to take apart due to so many things holding them together. If you can't get the back cover off, there might be a few screws hidden elsewhere.

What HP model are you using?
There are laptop service manuals floating around online which give detailed instructions on dismantling a laptop, but all are model specific.
(08-20-2010, 12:17 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]@Skirrow

That's so dangerous I can't believe you attempted that. Your lucky it even works, you must have waited a long time to make sure it was completely dry.

it's an age old joke, lol. But yes it would be dumb to actually attempt that on your laptop (might just as well microwave a cat - sadly some people already have attempted that a few years ago)

Quote:but why would HP make a laptop impossible to clean the heatsink????? confusing lol

They want you to pay for them to 'service' the laptop when it's clogged Cool
Might even have installed a thermal adhesive on the heatsink instead of normal paste/grease so that it can't be separated without a strong heatgun
(08-20-2010, 12:17 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]@Skirrow

I didn't actually do it m8. It was meant as a joke Tongue i figured the colours running and b+w display may have given it away lol. I should have used more smileys Big Grin
Well it is possible as long as you dry it really well (their has to be no water left at all before you turn it on, not one drop) and the most likely problem you are to encounter is a faulty display, so it does kind of fit your description. Although I have never heard of a color lcd displaying b + w only without software, that was the only part that seemed truly impossible to me, the rest is possible if your SUPER careful.
Well with all the laptops i've owned/worked with, the backs have all been seperated into seperate sections (you'll have the overall part which the sections attach to, then the removable parts to get to the RAM, HDD and CPU) each section has screws (which from what you've said have been removed), and then most of the time you need to carefully pry away the sections, but every laptops different so don't go forcing it or else you will have a right game.

If you can get a pic of the back i could probably tell you how to get it off mate.