Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Core 1 and 2 question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok so the temps of my cores are different by 7 deg C all the time

right not one is 30 C and the other is 37 C....not really sure why tho...could this be a problem...cuz from what i remember they used to be the same or could it just be a pileup of dust??
maybe because one has to run all of the system processes... also the thermal paste may be wearing off
Same here, Core 1 is 50, 2 is 50, 3 is 52 and 4 is 58, I can tell you, it's not the thermal paste, because I just bought that processor 1 month ago and put the paste myself.

I think the temp is somewhere between those temps.
because you dont use all the cores at the same time at the same amount, if you are only using the 1st core its going to be hotter because the other one isnt doing any/little work
Yeah but... I only have 1 processor and t's only a few centimeter in square.. So how is it possible that one spot is much hotter than the other Undecided
(08-20-2010, 10:00 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but... I only have 1 processor and t's only a few centimeter in square.. So how is it possible that one spot is much hotter than the other Undecided

law of thermal dynamics? your hands attached to your arm and thats on your body not the same temperature as your body though
A few degree's difference is normal (my quad runs 3c higher on two of the cores simply because heat rises upwards, and the two hotter ones are above the other two), things you can do to close the gap more are;

1. Make sure the thermal paste is evenly spread (and renew it if it's over a year old, but thats just my opinion on that).
2. Make sure your heatsink is correctly secured and tightened (if one sides tightened down more than the other than that will cause a difference in temps, nothing major though)

As long as those 2 points are fine and your not manually choosing which core does what work (the OS should spread the load fairly evenly, check task manager to see if the loads are similar) then it will more than likely be the normal temp difference on your CPU.

(08-20-2010, 10:00 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but... I only have 1 processor and t's only a few centimeter in square.. So how is it possible that one spot is much hotter than the other Undecided

Basically you have an overall CPU temp which is cooler than the cores, the cores are tiny in comparison to the overall width of the CPU (and the amount of space inbetween them) so they each have there own independant temp (and since these do all the major work the areas around them are generally cooler).
The chip isn't built evenly, nor is the heat spreader, nor is the thermal paste, nor is the heatsink, nor is a 100% load on all threads the same on all.

My cores can also have some wildly different temps under load:
49 50 51 50 55 50

That's what they are right now. (F@H load)

The important thing is that you look at core temps, not CPU temp. Wink
lol kk thanx...ok i got another question...ive looked around but cant find how to clean the heat sink for my laptop...i cant figure out how to open it...its a complicated one thtt the whole back has to come off...so does anyone have this kidna laptop?? i wana get the heat sink cleaned...its been over a year and a half...lol Tongue please and thanx
If I want to clean my heatsink of my laptop, I would bring it to a shop, because I know I would kill my laptop :p.
Pages: 1 2