Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Feature Request: Ability to Play From a ZIP/7Zip/Rar File :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there! I just thought that it would be awesome if the Dolphin emulator had the ability to play games that are still inside zip/7z/rar files. I just wonder if it's possible, and what could be the effects of this ability if it were to be added. I just got the idea when I thought about that old snes emulator that could play games from zip files lolBig Grin
well try decompressing that 4GB of file with normal decompressor and tell me how'd you like to do that everytime you want to play a game?

dolphin built in compressor works fine and use same algorithm as normal zip btw.
(08-13-2010, 02:45 AM)naoan Wrote: [ -> ]well try decompressing that 4GB of file with normal decompressor and tell me how'd you like to do that everytime you want to play a game?

dolphin built in compressor works fine and use same algorithm as normal zip btw.

4gb? Most GC games are 1.4gb and they barely compress due to content. As for wii games, if they are already scrubbed, there is no reason to compress.
(08-13-2010, 04:16 AM)Hero Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2010, 02:45 AM)naoan Wrote: [ -> ]well try decompressing that 4GB of file with normal decompressor and tell me how'd you like to do that everytime you want to play a game?

4gb? Most GC games are 1.4gb and they barely compress due to content. As for wii games, if they are already scrubbed, there is no reason to compress.

GC games can vary widely - some compress down to a few hundred MBs.
Wii games need to be compressed, ONLY if they are scrubbed. Scrubbing makes large areas of the image blank - it will only actually decrease in size if you scrub AND compress.
(08-13-2010, 04:16 AM)Hero Wrote: [ -> ]4gb? Most GC games are 1.4gb and they barely compress due to content. As for wii games, if they are already scrubbed, there is no reason to compress.

I'm looking at my collection of wii games... And yes they're scrubbed, some still hitting 4GB mark.

No there's still reason to compress, some (most) people may not want the hassle of wiiscrubber and opt to use the simple-one-click built-in compressor of Dolphin.
I don't know how often I must say this...but dolphin's compressor scrubs wii games before compressing them. It's automatic, and pointless unless done this way.
Yes sorry, I always forgot that. Sad

But like I said, even scrub-compressed by dolphin, some games still hitting 4GB mark, they just don't have much junk data apparently.