Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin vs Pcsx2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
ah ok, both things I wanted to say to this have already been said: 1. you cannot really compare. 2. SotC anyone? ^^
speak about comparing apples to oranges....
Quote:Well I know damn well GC is not nearly as heavy graphically. Sorry, love my nintendo games, but you know its true.

Have you forgotten that we are EMULATING these games? The gpu throughput needed has nothing to do with how good the games look on the real hardware when your emulating them.
(08-05-2010, 03:07 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Well I know damn well GC is not nearly as heavy graphically. Sorry, love my nintendo games, but you know its true.

Have you forgotten that we are EMULATING these games? The gpu throughput needed has nothing to do with how good the games look on the real hardware when your emulating them.

mmmmm, maybe. But if it was really mostly cpu bound, I could run this on one of my cruddier laptops that has a good core, but an intel mobile series 4 chipset. While it does have hardware from this century, (dx10, SM4.0) Dolphin doesn't like chipsets much, does it? That being the cause, you need a gfx card that has some power. The throughput is not really that much on dolphin. I mean, I see people using ago old graphics card that would be considered medium low end at this point. I'm just saying, the hardware need for the gpu is not much. However on pcsx2, I found a better gfx card made worlds of difference.

Honestly though, it is apples and oranges. I mean shit, gamecube uses a hrdware chip to emulate the sound right? Not sure but I don't think ps2 uses quite that. Thus, I find it that dolphin actually has to be a bit more complicated on emulation than pcsx2. I just wish pcsx2 had as many compatible games as dolphin.

pkjoan

You don't chose dolphin it chose you!

And besides why are you using dolphin then?
Well if you see the technical specifiation of each console you'll see that ps2 has quite a bit more dedicated different processor unit hence most of difficulty in emulating it is actually on the issue of syncing (I remember the devs said that it had very tight sync requirement).

In contrast, GC and Wii have simpler hardware layout similar to modern pc (cpu, gpu and spu) which was a good thing since I've heard that ps2 was a difficult system to make game with in its early days, mind you. Sony is arrogant, proven with yet another (more) difficult system like PS3.

As for compatibility, each has their own quirk and a null point to discuss since both is still being developed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps2#Technic...ifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamecube#Te...ifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technic...ifications
If you don't talk about speed,dolphin's graphic total beat PCSX2 in HD(no speedhack enable)
Dolphin vs PCSX2 = Draw
they are 2 different things,both are the best in what they do (dolphin-emulating wii + gamecube,and pcsx2-emulating ps2 games)
I gain about 12-14 fps when moving from ATI 5770 into GTX 470 in dolphin. But I still need to overclock my CPU to at least 3.4Ghz before I can play some games smoothly or reaching smooth 60 fps.
Pages: 1 2 3