Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Opengl 4.1 and dolphin emulator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the new Opengl 4.1 specifications are announced and i was wondering if dolphin emulator will see some new plugin for opengl just like the new directx plugin? Idea
just curious, since opengl 4.1 is even more tightly integrated with openCL.. this should be more suitable for dolphin IMHO
i doubt it, but anythings possible....
(08-03-2010, 12:49 AM)leet Wrote: [ -> ]i doubt it, but anythings possible....

yeah.. thats what i thought too. but i am still hopeful, thats the beauty of open source, who knows someone might start coding for it. i really want to see opengl 4.1 vs directx 11. plus linux users will have something to cheer... the only application able to use opengl 4.1
(08-03-2010, 02:27 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]We barely need any DX10/DX11 SPECIFIC features in the DX11 plugin.. the only reasons to write a new plugin for it were the cleaner API and some other nice stuff.
BUT OpenGL 4.1. is still basically just OpenGL 2.0 plus some random extensions, i.e. we might pick up some useful extensions in the future but it's not like the OGL 4.1 release would boost Dolphin OGL development or something.
and writing a complete OGL 4.1 plugin from scratch is nonsense, just because of what I said: It wouldn't look different than a OGL 2.0 plugin anyway.
I think your video card needs to be OpenGL 4.1 capable too?
(08-03-2010, 02:49 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2010, 02:27 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]We barely need any DX10/DX11 SPECIFIC features in the DX11 plugin.. the only reasons to write a new plugin for it were the cleaner API and some other nice stuff.
BUT OpenGL 4.1. is still basically just OpenGL 2.0 plus some random extensions, i.e. we might pick up some useful extensions in the future but it's not like the OGL 4.1 release would boost Dolphin OGL development or something.
and writing a complete OGL 4.1 plugin from scratch is nonsense, just because of what I said: It wouldn't look different than a OGL 2.0 plugin anyway.

my knowledge is limited in this regard and i am no dveloper, but what i understand is opengl 3.x is opengl 2.x with random extensions. but opengl 4.x is something more in tune with directx 11 and makes lots of old stuf.. well obsolete. correct me if i am wrong. my concern was since opengl 4.x is more tightly integrated with openCl and opengl ES, that should have been more helpful.
again stating my knowledge is limited and i might have not understood properly...
(08-03-2010, 03:05 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]I think your video card needs to be OpenGL 4.1 capable too?

that is correct... the minimum requirement is a directx 11 class GPU for opengl 4.x
yeah, there _are_ some major changes in OpenGL 4, but a) many of them aren't useful for Dolphin anyway (we don't use any of those fancy DX11 features either) and b) they would definitely not justify a whole new plugin Wink
@NeoBrain thank you for replying.