Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii Twilight Princess isn't graphically crisp - any ideas why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any idea why Twilight Princess isn't as crisp as other games when running at 1920x1080? Wind Waker looks super crisp, like it should at that resolution, but twilight princess looks like it does when playing it on the actual Wii, blurry.
Most likely this is because the bloom effect Twilight Princess uses requires the EFB (the framebuffer) to be at the Wii's native resolution. If you disable the EFB copy, you should find that Twilight Princess's 3D becomes more "crisp" but you'll lose the glow effect and a number of other things onscreen in the process.

Thinking about it logically, I can't think of any way the game would really be able to run at non-native resolution and still have the framebuffer effects work, since all of the in-game routines will be expecting a framebuffer of a set resolution. But I could be wrong, if it grabs the resolution from an IOS call (rather than just checking the widescreen setting and using its own values) then it might be possible to trick it into using any resolution. That's a bit of an advanced hack though, and I don't know enough about IOS to know if it's even feasable.
Thanks for the explanation. Finally getting to play Zelda:WW and such with proper draw distances and crisp edges is the whole reason I am interested in Dolphin. I love 8-bit graphics and 16 bit-graphics, but 3D graphics at 480p is just too ugly for me. It's probably why I dropped away from console gaming during the early 3D years...stuck to PC gaming. And here I am back again, hoping Dolphin can replace my Wii for single player gaming.