Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: region difference?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

rivariad

hello there folks! I've been wondering a thing since i've read the compatibility list, resident evil 2 for instance, seems workin fine on the list, but as a " pal " region. Can I play it with the ntsc version or does it really have to be the region that we see there?

LuisR14

well it specifies that specific region (but you could try it with NTSC, if it hasn't been tested Tongue)
It's very much an "it depends" thing. Most games that I test seem to work the same in both regions, but some (SSBB, for example) will only boot in a specific region, PAL in this case. There are usually minor differences between the regions of a game, most notable being that PAL games will run at 50 (or 25) FPS while NTSC games will usually run at 60 (or 30) FPS.

If a game is loading and playing, usually the game will operate the same in both regions. Of course, save files from one region will only work in that region, so for games that require a save file to pre-exist to boot (like Mario Kart Wii) you'll need to find a save file from the appropriate region, or use the tools and pull that from your own Wii.

The compatibility list shows the experiences of the testers with the region they happen to have. Also, the list isn't exactly up to date since there hasn't been an official release of Dolphin in a while, and because it changes so frequently.

rivariad

well actually resident evil series is my only concern. thanks!