Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: PS3 controller on Mac?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Glad to finally join the Dolphin community Smile

I'm new to all this technical stuff on this site so please help me if you can.

I just compiled Dolphin (r5929) onto my Macbook (Version 10.6.4) which was surprisingly easy. I'm having trouble getting Dolphin to recognize my PS3 controller though. (Hopefully there are other people out there who use their PS3 controller like I did... It's quite simple since the bluetooth just recognizes the controller Smile)

Under "GCPad" in the Devices drop-down, i'm not seeing the controller. There are three options, but they all seem to be just for my keyboard.

If you have any ideas or need more info, tell me.

Please help,
Thanks

chandel

(07-22-2010, 04:25 AM)imtheshocker35 Wrote: [ -> ]Glad to finally join the Dolphin community Smile

I'm new to all this technical stuff on this site so please help me if you can.

I just compiled Dolphin (r5929) onto my Macbook (Version 10.6.4) which was surprisingly easy. I'm having trouble getting Dolphin to recognize my PS3 controller though. (Hopefully there are other people out there who use their PS3 controller like I did... It's quite simple since the bluetooth just recognizes the controller Smile)

Under "GCPad" in the Devices drop-down, i'm not seeing the controller. There are three options, but they all seem to be just for my keyboard.

If you have any ideas or need more info, tell me.

Please help,
Thanks

Sorry man, no luck right now. For some unknown reason, the contributor "soren.jorvang" disabled SDL support (a framework used for input) on the Mac build in SVN revision 5886 back in July, thus disabling the use of a game controller or joystick. I have no idea why -- there is no native Cocoa HID code for joysticks in place in the main source tree -- and I think it was a horrible idea, as the osx builds are now crippled GCwise.

You'll note (I believe) that the Wii remote plugin works perfectly, accepting input if set to Emulated Wiimote Mode from (for instance) a PS3 controller; just not the GCPad. I don't understand why it was necessary to disable SDL support for the whole build in the first place if it was (is) still necessary for input in some parts of the system. Soren's promised working, native OS X HID code for the GCPad, but it has yet to appear in the main tree.

i hope this answers your question. Wink
You might not be able to use a PS3 controller on a Mac regardless, I don't know if there are even drivers available for Mac for the PS3 controller. You would have better luck trying to get it working under Windows that actually has drivers available for the PS3 controller. It's like trying to use an Xbox360 controller on Linux or Mac, you might be able to get it to work if someone created drivers for it that work on Mac, but I've only seen drivers for the Xbox360 controller on Linux and it isn't really a driver in the sense.

raven369

There is a driver for Macs here:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/Project...Controller

I've never actually tried it though so I don't know if it works.

I also found Controller Mate for the Mac. However, you need to purchase the software. I have never used this either so I don't know how useful it is.

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/purchase/

A user on Youtube posted instructions on how to configure Controller Mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KggbpRRjlc
I meant an official driver. The Xbox 360 controller can also function on Linux with a third party driver, but support is sketchy compared to Windows and the officially supported driver.